[Vision2020] IBTA Decisions

Art Deco deco at moscow.com
Sun Jun 4 10:18:19 PDT 2006

Rose, Saundra, et al,

The problems of unfair/unbalanced taxation that you have exposed are but a tip of the iceberg.

Here is the problem of granting tax-exemptions (income, property, sales, etc) to so-called non-profit organizations:

Whenever one person, a group of persons, or an organization is given preferential tax treatment, the rest of us must make up the difference with our tax payments.  Those non-profits specially favored with no taxes use that money that they do not pay (and the rest of make up for by paying) to further the goals of their organization.  In other words, those of us taxed are involuntarily paying for the pursuance of any non-profit's goals.  Further, those of forced to contribute to these organizations have no way to influence the way such contributions are used.

None of us probably favor the goals of all organizations granted this special treatment.

For example, I resent having to pay for the Hertiage Foundation pursuance of their goals and I am sure that there are members of the Heritage Foundation that resent being forced to pay for the activities of the Brookings Institute.  [Use your imagination to think of all the non-governmental, non-profit organizations whose activities you are being forced to subsidize and whose activities conflict with your ethical/political/social outlook and whom you would not choose to support had you the personal freedom/discretion not to, for example.]

This is a clear violation of personal freedom to choose what ideals/activities to support with our own money.  It is also inconsistent with free-enterprise philosophy which directs that any non-governmental organization depend on their success in the marketplace to finance their own activities.

It would be foolish to expect any of our legislators to support the abolishment of preferential tax treatment of non-profits at this juncture.  This is partially because we as citizens and they as legislators are basically ignorant of the cost to each taxpayer of these gifts and the financial and ethical impact on those not so gifted.

A start to curing this ignorance and a start towards better tax laws with respect to non-profits would be to pass a set of laws mandating that the various taxing entities be required to determine and to publish the amount of taxes lost under the various preferences granted to each non-profit and the general categories of nonprofits as defined by the tax law.  As part of these reports, the financial impacts on classes of individuals should also be calculated so that we can understand the financial impact on ourselves as individual taxpayers.

If, for example, knowing the amount it cost for each individual to grant tax free status to religious organizations (especially those whose teachings are in opposition to our own personal beliefs) may influence the public's and eventually the legislators' willingness to continue these free rides to non-governmental organizations and to continue violating our personal freedom which such forced subsidies totally abrogate.

Abolishing tax-free rides for nonprofits would not necessarily diminish the total amount of money collected now by these organizations.  But by making contributions/support/etc voluntary and dependent upon the ideals and activities of each organization, there would probably be some shift driven by the marketplace and considerations of general worth in the distribution of that money.  Monies which individuals are not being forced to fork over could be re-directed to the non-governmental organizations of the individual's own choice.

In the long run, abolishing tax-free status would not only restore personal freedom of what to do with the discretionary funds we choose to disburse, but will force those organizations we are now being forced to support (without our having any way to influence their activities) to operate much more openly, intelligently, legally, and effectively.

Wayne A. Fox
1009 Karen Lane
PO Box 9421
Moscow, ID  83843