[Vision2020] Boise's Dominance: Micron, HP

Mark Solomon msolomon at moscow.com
Sat Jun 3 12:26:58 PDT 2006

Ted makes an excellent point. In a long ago lifetime I was a
conservation lobbyist in Boise when JR Simplot, Micron founder and
majority shareholder (among other things), made his first ever visit
to the Statehouse. The Legislature literally shut down their
chambers, rolled out a red carpet (I'm not kidding) and assembled to
hear JR speak to them about the need for improving engineering
education in Idaho. That was 1995. Micron's influence on state
politics through their simple presence in Boise has only increased
since then. Remember the state budget crash of three years ago? That
was largely precipitated by lower corporate tax returns (Micron) due
to the worldwide recession lowering demand for their product.

Mark