[Vision2020] East is the Wrong Direction

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Sat Jun 3 10:36:40 PDT 2006

>From today's (June 3, 2006) Moscow-Pullman daily News with a special thanks
to Steve Streets.

East is the wrong direction

Something was bothering me when I read the April 8 & 9 Daily News article
"Survey: Businesses favor controlled growth." The article stated that "the
largest number of respondents (25 percent) said they favor expansion to the
east of town." Well, if you assign 25 percent to each of the other compass
directions then, well, you can do the math. So I looked at the Moscow
Chamber of Commerce survey. Sure enough, in Question 6, East has 25 percent
but there's seven answers. One answer, "No further development" has 0
percent. But, the answer "Develop ag-industrial areas between downtown and
university" has 8 percent and the answer "Concentrate more development in
existing retail centers" has 14 percent. When added to the answer west,
these answers favor mostly west, for a whopping total of 40 percent. Add the
answers north and south to west and 75 percent of the businesses surveyed
didn't choose east. This is from the horse's mouth.

Now, the Moscow Chamber of Commerce should follow its members wishes and
agree with No Super Wal-Mart that east was the wrong direction to "support
more development or expand existing retail centers in and around Moscow."

Steve Streets, Moscow

I propose an annual Moscow Community Picnic to take place every summer at
Thompson Field commencing in the summer of 2007.

Do I hear a second?

However, in the interim for this summer Ellen Roskovich has suggested (and
we can organize) a Vision 2020 Picnic to take place in either late July or
early August at a location to be determined.

Discussion?

Work like you don't need the money.
Love like you've never been hurt.
Dance like nobody's watching.