[Vision2020] Kanay Mubita, filthy abuser of women..... and his defenders...

Art Deco deco at moscow.com
Fri Jun 2 16:45:03 PDT 2006

Debbie,

Thank you for your insightful comments.  As a former resident of Boundary
County who followed the more in-depth coverage of this horror story in the
Bonners Ferry Herald, I was disappointed but not surprised at the sentence.

Part of the problem is the leniency of the state law with regard to
vehicular homicide even when it is the result of a driver or drivers under
the influence.  Apparently the alcoholic beverage industry owns a great deal
of our state legislature.  Whenever, changes are proposed to increase the
severity of crimes where immoderate alcohol consumption is a factor, the
alcoholic beverage industry lobby manages to kill such, usually early in the
process.

According to Aristotle, Mr. Peterson committed three crimes:

1.    He knowingly and willfully positioned himself in a "state of
ignorance" by becoming befogged in an alcoholic stupor.

2.    He imperiled the public by driving in that "state of ignorance."

3.    In that "state of ignorance" he murdered three people, horribly
mutilated a child, and left it without its parents.

In Aristotle's opinion (and mine, though it counts for much, much less) all
crimes are very serious.

Our laws do not reflect the seriousness of people placing themselves in a
"state of ignorance" and the consequences that can ensue.  Credit the
alcohol lobby and the alcohol industry's marketing (e.g. TV ads) for this.
It is far more important to the alcohol industry to maximize consumption of
their products than to prevent tragedies like the one at issue.

There is another factor which plays a part of the sentencing in cases like
this.  The defense attorney argues that "My client made a bad decision.
Don't penalize him/her severely for this one erroneous act (the decision).

What a crock of bullshit!

The decision to act in a certain way is always possible to review and to
change right up until the time the act is committed in total.  The decision
to continue toward an act or to act in a certain way is subject to thousands
and thousands of decisions right up until the time the act is committed.
The "one bad decision" argument is an obviously fallacious one based on an
obviously false premise.  When a I hear a particular attorney use that
defense, I think them an unethical liar.  It is one thing to try to get the
best sentence for a client, but quite another to lie while doing it.

In the above case the criminal had thousands and thousands of opportunities
to decide not to place himself in a "state of ignorance" by over-indulging
in alcohol.  He has thousands and thousands of opportunities to decide not
to drive once he placed himself in a "state of ignorance."  That he did not,
but murdered three people, etc seems to demand much, much more than the
possibility of only 18 months (if that, with good behavior) in prison.

In the last few years in Boundary County there have been many vehicular
mishaps resulting in death in which alcohol consumption was a compelling
factor.  The other criminals (but uncharged) in this affair are the parts of
the economic engine that pushes the mechanism of immoderate consumption.
There are relatively few and small criminal sanctions, for example, for bar
owners and bartenders who intentionally and willfully encourage and/or cater
to customers who are already intoxicated.  There are no criminal penalties
for alcohol distributors who continue to sell to bars that sell to the
already intoxicated.

Until we, the public, are willing to earnestly and resolutely communicate to
our state legislators that the loss of life (and many, many other bad
consequences) is not worth the price of maximizing the alcohol industries
income and profit, we will be faced with gut-wrenching carnage (and other
awful consequences) as described in the article you posted.

A note on Mubita's sentence:  I do not know if this played a part or not,
but it was clear from the victims' testimony that Mubita was a clever, very
manipulative liar who quite adroitly used this skill to bed his victims and
influence their actions.

Art Deco (Wayne A. Fox)
deco at moscow.com