[Vision2020] More Summer Reading...

Debbie Gray dgray at uidaho.edu
Fri Jun 2 10:58:44 PDT 2006

I'd also like to add 2 books to my recently read or in process:

The Language of Baklava / Diana Abu-Jaber.

Great memoir of her childhood and adult life as the daughter of
a Jordainian father and American mother. Discusses food and
culture and parental/child relationships and spun throughout are
mouthwatering recipes.

The Mapmaker's Wife : A True Tale of Love, Murder and Survival
in the Amazon  / Robert Whitaker

blurb from amazon.com because I can't summarize it myself =)
Whitaker merges a grippi:ng account of scientific exploration
with an amazing story of survival in the wilderness. For those
who think of the Enlightenment only in terms of sedate Paris
salons, this book will alter that image forever. The best minds
of Europe in the 1730s knew that the Earth was not perfectly
round, but the exact size and shape were in hot debate. Someone
figured out that to nail down the answer certain data was
needed, and that the best place to get that data was at the
equator. Given the technological and political realities of the
time, that meant one place: Peru. A scientific expedition was
organized in Paris and sent to the New World in 1735. After 10
years of incredible hardships and setbacks, it accomplished its
mission (and a host of other enlightenments along the way). As
captivating as this story proved to be, another developed: a
young member of the party met, fell in love with, and married an
upper-class, 13-year-old Peruvian girl. Due to a tangled swirl
of unfortunate events, this couple became separated for 20 years
(beginning just before the birth of their only child). Finally,
in 1769, Isabel Gramesón set off on a trek through the most
inhospitable of jungles to rejoin her husband in French Guiana.
The author's depiction of that harrowing journey is the crowning
jewel of this outstanding volume.-Robert Saunderson, Berkeley
Public Library, CA
Copyright © Reed Business Information, a division of Reed
Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved