[Vision2020] The UI Friday Letter for June 2, 2006

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Fri Jun 2 05:33:44 PDT 2006

Greetings Visionaires and Vandals -

Copied and pasted below is the UI Friday Letter from UI President White for
June 2, 2006.

University of Idaho
Office of the President
Moscow, Idaho 83844-3151
Phone: 208-885-6365
Fax: 208-885-6558

The Friday Letter
A Newsletter for University of Idaho Alumni and Friends June 2, 2006

Dear Friends,

Idaho's signature event to commemorate the Lewis and Clark Expedition
Bicentennial takes place June 5-17. "The Summer of Peace among the Nimiipuu"
is hosted by the Nez Perce Tribe and features events throughout the region.

While the Corps of Discovery left a rich legacy to this region, it is the
Native American peoples who have the strongest ties to and most vivid
history of the expedition. The Nez Perce were hosts to the Corps of
Discovery 200 years ago, and it is fitting that they host Idaho's
celebration of the expedition's bicentennial. More details are available to
http://www.thesummerofpeace.org/.

The University of Idaho is pleased to be associated with two presentations
that celebrate the bicentennial. A First Peoples' Fashion Show takes place
Friday, June 9 at 7 p.m. at the Hamilton Recreation Center in Moscow.
University alumna and employee Kate Pierson is helping to coordinate the
show that presents 200 years of Nez Perce fashion, from traditional regalia
to contemporary styles. Also, the photography of alumnus Ben Marra and his
wife, Linda, will be on display at the Third Street Gallery in Moscow June
16 through August 11. The Moscow Art Commission is sponsoring the Marras'
exhibit of "Faces from the Land: A Photographic Journey through Native
America."

Tim White
President

Here's the latest news from the University of Idaho:

Three University of Idaho track and field athletes have qualified for the
NCAA National Championship meet June 7-10 at Sacramento, Calif.
Russ Winger will compete in the shot put and discus, Dee Olson will run in
the 1,500-meter run and Devin Kennelly will participate in the
three-kilometer steeplechase.

Leading University of Idaho biofuels researchers will present a workshop,
"Biodiesel, From Field to Fuel," at the Coeur d'Alene Resort on Wednesday,
June 15. Workshop topics will include growing oilseeds in the Pacific
Northwest, processing oilseeds, biodiesel production practices, biodiesel
economics, co-product meal as bio-pesticides or as animal feed and glycerin
co-products. Area farmers, state governmental agencies from Idaho and
Washington, biodiesel production plant developers and various grain growers
associations are among the registrants who will learn more about biodiesel
production. Early registration by June 2 is $75 and $105 after. Fees include
meals and technical materials. Workshop schedule and registration may be
found by following the links at www.uidaho.edu/bioenergy/.

Tickets for the 2006 season of the Idaho Repertory Theatre are on sale.
Performances run from June 22 through July 30 and take place at the
University of Idaho Hartung indoor and outdoor theatres. The four
productions are "I Love You, You're Perfect, Now Change!" "Grace & Glorie,"
"Lend Me a Tenor" and "Comedy of Errors." All single tickets may be
purchased at the Kibbie Dome Box Office, phone(208) 885-7212 or
http://www.info.uidaho.edu/tickets/.

Dan Whiting '96 is urging other alumni to become members of the Heritage
Society by designating the University in their estate plans. "I came to the
University of Idaho in 1991 intending to stay for a year and transfer to
Purdue when my scholarship kicked in. I stayed because Idaho offered me the
complete education experience I was looking for.  I am giving because I want
the University to be there for future generations."
Whiting urged younger alumni to look at the Heritage Society. "Designating
the University of Idaho in your estate plan is an ideal way for folks
earlier in their career to give back."  He designated a percentage of his
estate to the University for use as they see fit because, "the University
knows better than I do where they need to focus resources."
Dan is communications director for U.S. Senator Larry Craig, for whom he
worked since 1996. He earned a bachelor's degree in Human Resource
Management from Idaho and a master's degree in Entrepreneurship from Regent
University in 2005. For more information on the Heritage Society, contact
Heidi Linehan at (208) 885-7069, hlinehan at uidaho.edu.

Take care, Moscow (you, too, Vandals).

UI '96

and the Realist adjusts his sails."