[Vision2020] Ped/Bike transportation options

bill bonte bbonte at moscow.com
Thu Jun 1 07:24:27 PDT 2006

How about taxing walking?  It could be easily done.  The merchant who
sells the shoes could collect $5-10
per pair to cover the cost of maintaining trails and sidewalks, and
installing new sidewalks.  There are more
people walking than riding bicycles, I see them everywhere, not just
on the trails, but downtown and in the
neighborhoods.  This revenue source should not be left untapped.
Walkers should pay for the privilege of using the sidewalks.

Moscow already has a bicycle licensing program analogous to the ORV
fee.  I don't know how the revenue is
handled.

An extensive trail network is a net revenue generator for a
community.  The north Idaho trail from Coeur d'alene
to Spokane is a significant tourist attraction.  Bicyclists come from
all over the country to ride the trail.  The same is true for the
Trail of the Coeur d'alenes from Plummer to Mullan.  On a recent trip
to Kellogg ( to ride the
bicycle trail)  I spoke with a motel owner who told me the trail was
a bigger draw than skiing.  There has been
talk of developing a rail-trail from Lewiston to Kooskia to generate
tourist traffic and help the local economy.
And of course there is the Hiawatha Trail from Lookout Pass.

Under development in Washington (and complete in some sections)  is
the John Wayne Trail from Plummer to
Seattle.  Also partially complete is a trail from Spokane to Pasco.
These are mixed use trails developed as
tourist and recreation draws.

Bill Bonte