[Vision2020] changing subjects...

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Sun Jul 30 15:18:46 PDT 2006

All:

Music is an infinite universe, for all practical purposes... I'll never have
time to listen to but a small fraction of the music in the world.  But I
have loved "electronic" or "experimental" music since I was a teenager.

Karlheinz Stockhausen, Luciano Berio, Gyorgy Ligeti (just died in June, how
sad!  He composed the riveting solo piano piece in Kubrick's "Eyes Wide
Shut," and who can forget his otherworldly music in Kubrick's "2001: A Space
Odyssey?"), Edgard Varese, Iannis Xenakis etc. opened up astonishing worlds
of experimental soundscapes when I was an early teen.  This was before
Walter Carlo's "Switched On Bach," Pink Floyd and the Who's use of
synthesizers, the studio wizardry of Jimi Hendrix on "Electric Ladyland,"
the Beatles on "Revolver" and Sgt. Peppers," among other influences, made
electronic/experimental music more mainstream.  Now, experimental,
synthesizer and computer generated music is taken for granted.

Here is a short list of some favorites, some more recent, some not:

Wendy Carlos, "Tales of Heaven and Hell, 1998"  The same artist who brought
us the groundbreaking "Switched On Bach" in 1968. Yes, Walter became Wendy.
I could care less.  The same person to me!  Warning on album cover "Contains
genuinely scary material.  Use caution when listening alone or in the dark."

Synergy, "Electronic Realizations for Rock Orchestra," 1975.  Larry Fast's
composing and electronic execution of his music.  Not rock!  He's both
compositionally and technically incredible.  Worked with Peter Gabriel
extensively.  I've heard this hundreds of times, but it still induces the
holographic infinite sound cathedral response (well documented by modern
neuroscience as the ultimate state of being).

Vangelis, "Spiral," 1977.  The "Chariots of Fire" and "Bladerunner"
soundtracks brought Vangelis into the mainstream.  "Sprial" has a cut,
"Dervish D," "inspired by the Dervish dancer who by his whirling realizes
the spiraling of the universe."  Sufism, anyone?  An Islamic mystical
tradition.  Check out the movie "Baraka" to watch Dervish dancers in action.

Jean Michel Jarre, "Metamorphoses," 2000.  "Oxygen," 1976, Jarre's first
album, still brings chills!  No one makes music quite like this.

Steve Roach, "Light Fantastic," 1999.  Relatively unknown genius.  Often
integrates electronics with tribal ethnic trance using traditional
instruments from Australian and North and Central American cultures.  I love
Rain Sticks!

Juno Reactor, "Labyrinth," 2004.  Millions have heard their music from the
"Matrix" soundtracks.  I suspect Matrix writer/directors The Wachowski
Brothers must have been big fans of these artists.  Can you imagine how much
money Juno Reactor made with their music heavily featured on the Matrix
films?  Some of the best modern electronica, a couple of steps above the
rest. "Bible of Dreams," 1997, is a luminous transcendent wonder.

Can't forget pioneer electronic wizards Tangerine Dream.  "Tangram," from
1980, is a dreamy and blissful work.

Future Sound of London (sometimes Amorphous Androgynous, but same artists),
"Lifeforms," 1994, or "Dead Cities," 1996.  This is music from another
planet, very electronic and experimental, too good to be a best seller.  Now
they are reborn as spiritual visionaries on "The Isness," 2002, and "Alice
In Ultraland," 2005, doing more accessible song oriented music some compare
to early Pink Floyd combined with the Beatles from "Sgt. Pepper."  They are
more well known in their native United Kingdom market.

Orbital, "The Middle of Nowhere," 1999.  Orbital had soundtrack music on
"The Saint" with Val Kilmer, and scored the entire film "Octane" with
Madeleine Stowe.  I worship these guys, especially 1996's "The Insides," one
of the greatest modern electronica albums.  Puts most of the posers in this
genre in their place, weaving numerous simple rhythmic and musical ideas
into complex tapestries (excuse the trite phrase, if you can).

The Orb, "Orbus Terrarum," 1995.  Dr. (is he really a doctor?) Alex Paterson
and company.  A classic of the electronica movement.  Just watch out for the
slug eating piece at the end... What were they thinking?

And finally, from back before all the cool computer kids who think they
invented electronic/experimental music took over, Iannis Xenakis was blowing
minds with "Orient-Occident," 1960.  I heard this in the early 1960's and
was taken by the fact I was listening to the ionosphere.  Read about this at
the link below:

http://www.emfmedia.org/catalog/em102.html

'Orient-Occident' (1960), commissioned by UNESCO as music for a film by
Enrico Fulchignoni, uses the sounds of bowed boxes, bells and metal rods,
sounds from the ionosphere, and a speed-altered excerpt from Xenakis'
orchestral work 'Pitoprakta' are combined to create a work suggestive of the
themes of the film, which tracks the development of civilization.
Ted Moffett

"The more I know, the more I know I don't know."