[Vision2020] Don't Ruin Cemetery's Serenity

mysticchic mystic_chic1021 at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 29 18:31:30 PDT 2006

Tom Hansen <thansen at moscow.com> wrote:  >From today's (July 29, 2006) Moscow-Pullman Daily News with a special thanks
to Kelly Turk of Pullman -

Don't ruin cemetery's serenity

The Daily News article about Barry Hart, the cemetery sexton, "A Peace among
the deceased," brought up a couple of concerns with me. Hart states, "As
time has gone by, it has become more popular (the cemetery).

People will come out here and sit and get comfort from being close to a
loved one, or just to think." Now there is a push to put a Wal-Mart parking
lot next to the cemetery. Is that OK with all the supporters of Wal-Mart? Is
nothing sacred but the dollar bill you save?

Over Memorial Day, my wife and I took our 8-year-old daughter to the Pullman
Cemetery to show and explain to her what Memorial Day, other than being a
vacation day, is about, thanking the soldiers that have died for our
freedom. There were veterans there placing flags on the graves of soldiers
from all the wars, and families were placing flowers and flags on the graves
of their loved ones. It was very peaceful, and moving. Our daughter
understood what all this meant.

The serenity of the cemetery was a big part of the effect on her. Doesn't it
bother the Wal-Mart supporters that this will be gone? Isn't it
disrespectful to treat our deceased neighbors and soldiers this way? I can't
imagine grieving over a loved one next to traffic and bright lights.

Destroying the serenity of the cemetery with a Wal-Mart is bad enough. The
disrespect it shows our war dead is appalling. If you have a "support our
troops" ribbon on your vehicle, and want the giant Wal-Mart next to the
cemetery, please take it off. Better yet, reconsider your support of a
Wal-Mart next to the cemetery. Show some respect. We can put it someplace
else, like Mars.

Kelly Turk
Pullman

Thank you, Kelly Turk, for reminding us all of what is really important.

Building a Wal-Mart Super Center near a cemetery?

Hmmm. Now where have I read/heard that before?

Seeya round town, Moscow.

"A bad cause will ever be supported by bad means and bad men."

- Thomas Paine (English Writer, 1737-1809)

List services made available by First Step Internet,
mailto:Vision2020 at moscow.com