[Vision2020] Idaho statesman: Idaho quarter doesn't fly ...

Graylex graylex at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 29 16:24:24 PDT 2006

http://www.idahostatesman.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060729/NEWS01/607290316

State quarter doesn't fly with Idahoans
Majority response to new peregrine design is negative

Judging by its initial reception, a majority of
Idahoans think Idaho's state quarter is for the birds.

Not everyone hates former Gov. Dirk Kempthorne's
choice of a peregrine falcon as the quarter's dominant
image. Early reaction, however, indicates that the
choice is far from popular.

Zane Lathim of Meridian called the quarter "the
absolute worst design" of all the state quarters.
"Where are the mountains? How about a salmon or even a
wolf? Nope. Leave it to Kempthorne to choose a design
very few Idahoans can relate to," Lathim said.
"Besides that, it looks horrible. We had one chance to
do something that glorifies Idaho, and we failed
miserably."

Donna Litz of Middleton wrote that "while the
peregrine falcon is a small part of Idaho, it
certainly does not represent what Idaho is famous for
— mountains, potatoes, hunting, fishing, agriculture.
I think we blew a great chance to showcase Idaho."
On a more positive note, Boisean Colleen Moulton
called the falcon design "a great choice. From an
ecology and history standpoint, it really does
represent more aspects of Idaho than most people would
think. ... And thanks to the efforts of the World
Center for Birds of Prey, this species not only came
back from the brink of extinction, but has done so
well it has been removed from the Endangered Species
list."
An Idaho Statesman reader solicitation received
objected to including the state outline with a star
denoting Boise, as well.

In an unscientific Statesman online poll, 30.6 percent
of 1,899 readers responding said they liked the
quarter, while 69.4 percent said they didn't.
The quarter design has the phones ringing at Gov. Jim
Risch's office, as well.

"I didn't choose it!" Risch said when his wife, Vicki,
mentioned the calls to the governor's office during
her remarks at Thursday's Ezra Meeker Centennial
celebration.
Vicki Risch told the audience that her husband had
received "lots of calls, and the don't-like-the-coin
calls are way up there. We've had more calls on the
coin than we have on the special session."

Boiseans Teresa Barnes and Stan Hitesman contacted the
Statesman to say they were considering circulating
petitions asking that the design be changed.

"I am a collector of coins from the U.S. Mint and
think that this is the first truly ugly design I've
seen on the state quarters," Barnes said in an e-mail.
"... Is it too late to change the design?"
U.S. Mint spokesman Michael White indicated that
changing the state quarter's image isn't likely.

"Appeal isn't part of the normal process," White said.
"We worked in tandem with the governor's office for
two years. The design has been approved by the
governor's office and given final approval by the
Secretary of the Treasury. There have been instances
in which there have been strong opinions about some of
the states' coins, but I've never heard of a design
being recalled."
So, what was Kempthorne, now secretary of the
interior, thinking when he chose a bird that is found
on almost every continent to represent Idaho?

"Secretary, then-Gov. Kempthorne selected the
peregrine falcon design because of Idaho's important
role in the recovery of the bird, in part through the
Idaho-based Peregrine Fund and World Center for Birds
of Prey," said Department of the Interior Press
Secretary Shane Wolfe in a statement. "Secretary
Kempthorne considers the peregrine falcon an inspiring
story of recovery — one of the few species to recover
and be removed from the list of threatened and
endangered species. He believes all Idahoans can be
proud of and celebrate their state's role in the
success of the bird."

Debbie Gray (not at work using my uidaho account
illicitly or licitly. or am i at work? i could be.
Jackie maybe you know where i am? Can you see me now?
Can you? Is this acceptable use of yahoo email?? Could
you read through their acceptable usage policy and get
back to me?? I'm distraught with worry.)