[Vision2020] Pac 10 vs. Big 12

Chris Storhok cstorhok at co.fairbanks.ak.us
Fri Jul 28 15:42:47 PDT 2006

Gee, wow a whopping 15 in the Big 12...lets look at the Big 10, since
1950 the traditional teams of the Big 10 have won 21 national titles
awarded by one, some,  or all of the polling organizations.  Add in Penn
State and the number jumps to 24.   College football reality is simple,
the winner of the Big 10 is historically the best team in the nation.
The reason that there are not more national champions out of the Big 10
is because the schedule is so darn tough.  What other conference do you
play the likes of Ohio State, Michigan, Wisconsin, Penn State, Iowa,
Michigan State, Minnesota, Purdue, etc. in stadiums that hold between
50,000 and 106,000 folks every week.   I guarantee that if the so called
great teams like Texas, USC, (Maryland - give me a break!) Miami, and
FSU that the media go crazy over had to play the Big 10 roster every
year their winning percentages and national championships would drop
off.   The Big 10's problem is that there are really only three patsy
football programs (Indiana, Northwestern (and even they have been
winning in the last few years) and Illinois) so even the best teams
finish with 1 or 2 losses and thus are eliminated by the stupid BSC
system.  Either 1A college football should adopt a playoff format or
drop the BSC system so that the rest of us can enjoy arguing over the
split polls.

God I miss live college football, Go Vandals!!!!!

Chris