[Vision2020] Protect our Water update

Bill London london at moscow.com
Fri Jul 28 15:03:18 PDT 2006

                                      URGENT! WE NEED YOUR HELP NOW!

  As you probably know, the Naylor LLC (Limited Liability Corporation) has successfully passed the first step in obtaining a conditional use permit to mine sand, gravel, and clay less than two miles north of Moscow, just east of Highway 95. Aside from the unsightliness, potential environmental problems, and almost certain negative impact on the property values of surrounding residences, this industrial operation will require a considerable amount of the precious water pumped from the aquifer(s) on which we all depend.

  Protect Our Water (POW) and Protect Our Palouse (POP), a new grass roots citizen's organization, is launching a vigorous campaign against this project and intends to present a strong case to the Latah County Commissioners at a hearing to be scheduled late August/early September. Toward that end, we have hired a local attorney to help us effectively navigate the legal waters of this controversy. As you know attorney's cost money. We estimate legal expenses for the initial phase of this battle to be $5000-6000 and considerably more if we have to go to court.

  If you oppose this proposed strip mining operation, or, at the very least, think it's of questionable value, then here's how you can assist us in this effort:

       1. Help us defray the legal expenses by contributing to the Protect Our Palouse Legal Defense Fund. Send checks to Sid Eder, Protect Our Water Treasurer, 1037 Tolo Trail, Moscow, ID 83843. Make checks payable to Protect Our Water. By the way, POW is registered in the State of Idaho as a non-profit corporation.

       2. Help us with a vigorous petition signing drive, which we hope will yield 3000-4000 signatures for presentation to the county commissioners prior to the hearing. Aside from gathering signatures at our Saturday Market information table, we also are organizing an extensive door-to-door canvassing campaign. If you would like to volunteer some time in this effort, please contact Jerry Swensen at 883-0157 or email him at stoneridgeprop at moscow.com

  If you have any questions or comments about any of the above, please feel free to call me at 883-4770 or email me at side at uidaho.edu

  Thank you.

  Sid Eder, President
  Protect Our Water