[Vision2020] About Time!

Joan Opyr joanopyr at moscow.com
Tue Jul 25 14:26:44 PDT 2006

> On 7/25/06, rvrcowboy <rvrcowboy at clearwire.net> wrote:
>>
>> This is just another example of one side having to play by the rules
>> while
>> the other side is allowed total freedom to dominate.  Another example
>> of why
>> the Geneva Conventions can't be applied to terrorists, representing
>> no rule
>> of law, no country and no conscience of their murderous acts.

Dick, you're comparing a sovereign nation, the United States, to a
ragtag group of terrorists and guerilla fighters.  We're a nation; they
are not.  We are signatories to the Geneva Conventions; they are not.
I won't repeat what Andreas has already said so eloquently, but let's
restate your comparison in another perhaps more familiar context:

The police are must abide by the law.  Criminals, by definition, do
not.  Should the police skirt or ignore the law so that they can more
effectively fight crime?  Is that what we want?  Not police but lawless
vigilantes?  If we violate treaties we not only endorsed but in many
cases wrote, then how do we differ from those we now fight?  Yes,
there's a double standard at work here.  If we want to claim the moral
high ground, then there damn well ought to be.

Alas for Abu Ghraib and Guantanamo Bay.  Our moral high ground has
become a ditch.

Joan Opyr/Auntie Establishment
www.joanopyr.com