[Vision2020] Kudos: "Backyard Harvest grows in Moscow"

Saundra Lund sslund at adelphia.net
Sat Jul 22 14:20:49 PDT 2006

This is one of the reasons I'm proud to call Moscow my home!  This story
about Backyard Harvest ran in today's Moscow-Pullman Daily News, and I'm
very glad it did because I'd not heard of this wonderful little gem
previously.  For those of you with bountiful gardens, please keep this
resource in mind should you find yourself with more than you, your families,
and friends can use.  And, you might want to keep it in mind when planning
next year's garden as well!

Saundra Lund
Moscow, ID

nothing.
- Edmund Burke

"Backyard Harvest grows in Moscow

By Omie Drawhorn, Daily News staff writer
Published: 07-22-2006

It started as an accident.

Amy Grey and her son were planting lettuce and having such a good time they
got a little carried away.

With 200 heads of lettuce growing wild in her garden, Grey started to panic.
She called local food banks trying to find a place that would accept such a
large donation.

The incident got the Moscow gardener and graphic designer thinking.

She realized just how easily a $1.99 seed packet can feed 200 people, and
the seed for "Backyard Harvest" sprouted.

Grey started the organization by herself last year, planting a little extra
produce in her garden and transporting the fruits and vegetables to local
food banks each week.

This year, Grey enlisted the help of Palouse-Clearwater Environmental
Institute, which joined in the project and is soliciting produce from
gardeners around the Palouse, providing both pickup and drop-off services.

"We are filling a gap between people who grow food and people who need
food," Grey said.

The three anchor gardens are Grey's garden on East Seventh Street, PCEI's
Pantry Garden and the Moscow Community Garden. Fiddler's Ridge Nursery,
Washington State University Organic Garden, Affinity Farm and the University
of Idaho Soil Stewards are regular donors.

Grey had felt the desire to do something with the empty, adjacent lot since
she moved into her house on Seventh Street.

"I felt obligated to do something with it," she said.

Turning the lot into a garden the entire community could benefit from made
sense.

Once Grey decided to plant the garden, she started receiving bags of irises
on her doorstep from other gardeners.

With the assistance of PCEI's Courtney Rush, Grey will pick up produce from
any gardener's home and deliver the produce to one of several food banks and
organizations she donates to on a regular basis.

Rush manages the Pantry Garden and Moscow Community Gardens through PCEI.

Grey said she hasn't quite hit the busy season yet, but by the end of the
summer she expects Backyard Harvest to donate 2,000 pounds of food.

The Community Action Partnership Food bank, Moscow Nazarene Food Bank,
Pullman Food Bank, Friendly Neighbors Senior Meal Site, Harvest House and
Moscow Food Bank all receive donations from Grey's organization on a weekly
basis.

Connie Granbois of the Community Action Partnership Food Bank in Lewiston
said the produce is much appreciated by those who visit.

"It's a nice treat for them," she said. "Many of them remember growing up
with their own gardens."

Mike Linderman, head cook for Friendly Neighbors Senior Meals in the 1912
building, said the project allows him to prepare meals with salads and fresh
produce.

"What she's doing is really unique and organized," he said.

Many of the seniors are single men who don't take time to buy vegetables, so
the produce is a welcome addition, Linderman said.

Linderman said he ends up cooking between 70 and 80 meals for the seniors
and makes extra for them to take home.

Linda Nickels, director of the Moscow Food Bank, said it's nice to have such
a reliable source of fresh produce. In the past, potatoes were commonly the
only fresh food available.

Grey said she is always looking for more volunteers to assist her, as well
as additional produce donations.

Her mail carrier, who lives in Lewiston, recently crammed his Geo Metro with
donations for the Lewiston Food Bank.

Kelly Kingsland, owner of Affinity Farm, donates leftover produce after the
Moscow Farmers Market and the Tuesday Farmer's Market.

"Backyard Harvest is a great conduit to getting food to where it can be
stored," Kingsland said. "Donating has been spectacular and very
inspirational."

Kingsland said she likes the idea of growing food for everyone, as opposed
to just those who can afford costly organic produce.

"I'm surprised at how much it has caught on already," Rush said.

She said she's expecting even bigger things for next year.

"The more word gets out, the more we can help someone in need," she said.
"Now (potential donators) can think ahead to next season."

 To donate or to volunteer, visit the Web site at www.backyardharvest.org or
call (208) 882-1155.

Omie Drawhorn can be reached at (208) 882-5561, ext. 234, or by e-mail at
odrawhorn at dnews.com."