[Vision2020] Fw: The Keely Mix/Doug Wilson Debate

rvrcowboy rvrcowboy at clearwire.net
Fri Jul 14 09:33:14 PDT 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: rvrcowboy
To: Sunil Ramalingam
Sent: Friday, July 14, 2006 9:32 AM
Subject: Re: [Vision2020] The Keely Mix/Doug Wilson Debate

Sunil,

I will attempt to respond to your post, given the limited time I have right now.  It's honey-do day at my house and I am trying to prepare for a clean up float trip on the Clearwater River tomorrow.

"We have adopted the Geneva Conventions, and are obligated to follow them.  It is irrelevant if those we fight have done so."

I disagree with you on this point.  While it is true we have adopted the Geneva Conventions I do not believe we are obligated to follow them when those we are fighting have not done so.  That would be tantamount to two football teams playing and one has agreed to follow the rules and the other totally rejects all rules.  It would be a slaughter.  I do believe we should be as civil as possible and that we should not engage in torture.  However, I do not define torture as sleep deprivation, water boarding, etc.  There is a difference between humane interrogation techniques and torture.

"We have our rules and we should follow them."

The Geneva Convention is not a list of "our" rules.  It is an agreement between participating nations on humane treatment of legally represented particpants from those nations.  Again, to play by any rules when one side has no rules at all is ridiculous.  This war is not aginst any participating nation, protected under the convention.  It is against radical, criminal, millitant terrorists who owe alligence to no one and nothing but their own radical cause.  In such a case, I agree, we should be humane but no one should expect us to sacrifice lives just to play by non-existent rules.

"If we are there to  establish democracy, we do not further our stated cause by ignoring the  rules we have adopted."

Again, we have not adopted, or agreed to, any rules between ourselves and the criminal, militants, representing no country, we are engaged with.  I don't know where you would get such a crazy idea.

"It only demonstrates that our political process can be meaningless, and that lesson is clear to those who suffer when we deviate  from our rules and laws."

What about those who suffer because the other side has rejected any rules at all?  Those would be our soldiers who face beheadding and torture if captured, along with others, even civilians.  Again, we are under no obligation to follow any rules, laws or agreements between nations when we are fighting criminals from no nation.

"If we are trying to establish a democracy, then we need to win hearts and
minds through the moral superiority of our conduct."

I believe those who would live under a democracy would rather see us win this war because we did what was necessary than lose it because we played by some set of non-existent rules.  Partly because they will likely be killed if we fail.  I think they are more worried about loosing their lives than the "moral superiority of our conduct."   Their futures depend on reality, not some pretty sounding, politically correct buzzwords.

"Do you think the Administration's embrace of torture and running secret prisons enhances our moral standing anywhere?"

I have seen no evidence of our Administration embracing the use of torture.  As for secret prisons, this is war and it is most likely a good thing to hold some high-level prisoners where they can not be easily found and accessed.  I doubt you would find much dissent with this in the majority of the population.

"Our government is supposed to answer to us; our enemies do not, and I have no expectation of that."

Ultimately, our government always answers to the people, at the ballot box, which is where you should take up your gripes.

"But I have the right and responsibility to expect my government to comply with our laws."

That may be so but first you have to PROVE the government has broken any laws they were even legally bound to obey.  So far as I can tell, they haven't.  Accusations and rhetoric do not a criminal make.  Public opinion will ultimately decide the issue at the ballot box, where it should be decided.

I hope I have answered to your satisfaction.  It is obvious we have a difference of opinion on the issues.  So be it.  I am out of time, the dish water is getting cold.

Have a wonderful day,

Dick S.