[Vision2020] Re: Travios trees destroyed

Nils Peterson nils_peterson at wsu.edu
Mon Jul 10 12:43:21 PDT 2006

Well not quite destroyed. I was headed out to vacation as the work started.
I live at the Tidyman's end of Travois and do enjoy the walk along the park.

Seems there was some protest and the trees were trimmed rather than removed.
However, topping a coniferous tree is not all that good for it. It will
develop several new tops following the injury.

I mentioned my concern about the work to Roger Blanchard, City Parks, and he
indicated that thinning and replanting was part of a multi-year plan. It
happened once before and was not a total tragedy. You can still find the
stumps, which my daughter likes to jump on and off.

Replanting did happen last time, importantly, including some on the north
side of the bike trail, effectively widening the park.

Its work noting, and thanking, Gene Thompson for many of these trees, and
the foresight in planting them. I met Gene in the 90's working the north
bank of the rail line (now bike trail) planting seedlings. Some of those are
now visible as real trees.

I believe PCEI may have also had some hand in plantings along the trail, it
looks like their work east of Blaine.

And I am also a renegade tree planter in the area, moving acorns to the east
in front of Tidymans and poking willow limbs into the wetlands. I am trying
to stay out from under the power lines in hopes my trees will have a long
life.