[Vision2020] This Isn't Hate Speech, Either

Joan Opyr joanopyr at moscow.com
Mon Jul 10 10:33:22 PDT 2006

I'm sorry, Matt.  I didn't mean to accuse you of either boasting or
behaving like an ass overseas.  I'm sorry if that's how it came across.
  What I intended was simply to offer up a few observations about my own
experiences, in which Americans (not you) often do boast about saving
European -- particularly French and English -- ass during World War II,
and then find themselves embroiled in a pointless tit-for-tat in which
the French and English point out that during both world wars, we always
came a day late and a dollar short.  Note: I don't say this to insult
our VE and VJ veterans; I'm only telling you how the pub fights go.
Once old Englishmen begin reminiscing about good-looking American GIs
who were "overfed, oversexed, and over there," it can get nasty very
quickly.  I was once the sorry witness to two old men arguing in London
over Hershey bars, panty-hose, and a war bride who hadn't been "one of
our lovely English roses" for more than fifty years.  It was quite the
sight.

No, I don't think you, Matt Decker, are the ugly American.  I do think,
unfortunately, that there are many ugly Americans out there -- butt
ugly.  I'm sure you'll agree.

Joan Opyr/Auntie Establishment
www.joanopyr.com