[Vision2020] privacy

Paul Rumelhart godshatter at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 10 08:29:32 PDT 2006

Anyone else as concerned as I am about the various privacy issues that
have come up in recent months?  Such as the NSA wiretaps, going around
FISA for wiretaps, the NSA installing equipment at AT&T to log all
internet traffic, the database of phone calls that has been built, etc?
The latest is that the FBI is pushing for "backdoors" to be installed in
all network routing equipment to make it easy for them to access once
they have a warrant.  The potential for abuse is in my opinion staggering.

All in the name of stopping terrorist attacks.  Should we really be so
frightened of attack that we willing give up our privacy for safety?
What are the odds that you or I will die in a terrorist attack?  I'd say
it's less than the odds that we'll die in car crashes, choke to death,
have a heart attack, or be murdered by a family member.

Is there anything we can do at a community level about this?

Paul