[Vision2020] This Isn't Hate Speech, Either

Joan Opyr joanopyr at moscow.com
Sun Jul 9 22:55:44 PDT 2006

On Jul 9, 2006, at 9:54 PM, Matt Decker wrote:

> Ellen,
>
> I think the point is obvious. Sure there are different Americas,
> usually when one refers to America most people know what that is or
> what was intended. Im sure no harm is meant towards others by saying
> this. I believe this not to be pompous or intentional harm towards our
> neighbors. Really how many times have you been overseas talking to
> someone else asking where they are from, them saying they are from
> America and you thinking they meant Chile?
>
> I don't recall in my travels including Australia (which by the way
> love us for saving their asses in WW2)  people hating or not being
> neighborlly to AMERICANS of united states decent. Just my travels
> though.
>
> Matt

Once upon a time, Americans spoke softly and carried a big stick.
Somewhere along the line, we began to shout at everyone and hit them
with the stick.  I've never been to Australia, but I do correspond with
Australians of all political stripes -- writers, readers, and radio
listeners.  WWII doesn't come up much in our conversations.  The
Aussies I know are all under 80, and they seem a bit more interested in
the soldiers today, those assisting us in our "Coalition of the
Willing."

We are the world's one and only superpower.  Our economy dominates the
globe.  American culture is everywhere; you cannot escape Friends or
Elvis, Tom Cruise or Madonna.  I've traveled widely and often, and I've
found that speaking softly, stopping to listen, and doing my best to
respect local customs and local peoples has served me well.  Like it or
not, our Canadian neighbors enjoy a better reputation for their
behavior abroad than we do; they're perceived to be more pleasant, more
polite, and more courteous.  I've never heard a Canadian declare "we
saved your asses back in 1945 -- you owe us" when the chips are down
and the pub fight is brewing.  And yet the Canadians were at the front
in WWI and WWII; they've never shirked.

One of the few smart things George W. Bush has said -- something with
which I absolutely agree -- is this statement from his October 12, 2000
debate with Al Gore:

"If we're an arrogant nation, they'll resent us; if we're a humble
nation, but strong, they'll welcome us.  And our nation stands alone
right now in the world in terms of power, and that's why we've got to
be humble, and yet project strength in a way that promotes freedom."

What image do we project when we're abroad, arrogance or humility?  How
do we represent our country?  Too often, we're all mouth and no
trousers.  Too often we're belligerent, fat-assed, and rude.  Not
always.  It's been my experience that most people are wide open to
Americans; they're not lying in wait for us to make asses of ourselves.
  They're quick to point out that they like us as individuals, even when
they disagree with our global behavior.  I'm not an ambassador for the
Bush Administration when I travel; I'm just another American tourist.
But I count.  My behavior is noted, and at the end of the day, it's
totted up.  I can choose to be the ugly American and confirm everyone's
worst fears, or I can be what I think most Americans are -- curious,
independent, open-minded and decent.

Joan

Joan Opyr/Auntie Establishment
www.joanopyr.com