[Vision2020] Blaming Immigrants a Tip-Off (Molly Ivins)

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Fri Jul 7 06:39:27 PDT 2006

>From today's (July 7, 2006) Spokesman Review -

Blaming immigrants a tip-off
Molly Ivins
July 7, 2006

While the rest of you were celebrating life, liberty and the pursuit of
happiness, I was keeping an eye on Karl Rove - because someone has to.

A "Bush Signals Shift in Stance on Immigrants" headline is the early warning
sign that we're about to get an all-out immigrant-bashing campaign for the
fall, complete with xenophobia, racism and blaming the weakest, least
powerful people in the country for everything that's wrong with it.

House Republicans, who know a good socially divisive issue when they see
one, are perfectly happy to blame illegal workers for everything. Trade
policy, repealing taxes for the rich, corruption in Congress - it's all done
by illegal workers. Everywhere you look in this society, there's a bunch of
people named Gomez and Ramirez, all of them making decisions from the top -
in charge of the Pentagon, heading the military-industrial complex, deciding
the rich need tax relief, in charge of this stupid war, making decisions on
Wall Street.

What do you mean, the only people you know named Gomez and Ramirez push
brooms and pick cantaloupes? Can't you see that everything that's wrong with
this country is because of illegal aliens? It's all their fault. The people
in charge have nothing to do with it.

Besides, immigrant-bashing is such an old American tradition. Back at the
time of the Revolution, many Anglo Americans worried about the terrible
number of Germans engulfing the country (see, Karl?). Since then, we've
managed to work up a snit over the Irish, the Jews, the Polish, the Swedes,
Bolivians, Bavarians, Bosnians, Russians, Italians, Sicilians, a great
variety of Africans, Indians, Pakistanis, Maltese (sorry you missed that one
- the Maltese once overran New York City deli counters), Cubans, Puerto
Ricans and so forth.

If you haven't been here long enough to get upset about at least one other
group moving in, you must still owe the coyote (as immigrant-smugglers are
called). Think of the rich verbal history of ethnic insults - Bohunks,
Krauts, Polacks, Micks.

I don't see why we should stop blaming newcomers for our troubles just
because they're not in charge of anything. You gotta admit, prejudice is as
American as apple pie. I hear tell these Mexicans keep crossing the border
so they can get on welfare and get health care and all these goodies. Funny,
we don't have goodies in Texas, but they keep moving here to work anyway.

Bush was planning to take a stab at resolving the problem, particularly on
the Mexican border, with a guest-worker program. But the House Republicans
had a hissy fit, claimed it was an "amnesty program" and demanded harsher
measures, militarization of the border, a big fence. Not gonna work, y'all.
Build a 50-foot fence, and they'll build a 51-foot ladder. Hire Halliburton
with a no-bid contract to build the fence, and it will hire illegal workers
to do it.

The catch-and-release program currently run for Mexicans by the U.S.
government is damn silly. So what will work? If you want to stop Mexicans
from crossing the border to work here, put Americans who hire them in jail.
Since the Americans who hire them are also often (not always) large donors
to the Republican Party, you will have to take that up with them.

Fixing Mexico certainly does NOT involve interfering in their elections. I
had to laugh at the number of American pundits who solemnly lectured the
Mexicans on how their tied election was such a delicate situation for their
democracy. Like it never happened to us?

Helping to fix Mexico involves, in my opinion, redoing NAFTA, so that labor
and environmental standards can be included. I've always liked Lou Dobbs,
who at least cares about middle- and working-class Americans. But to some
extent, he's got the immigrant issue by the wrong end. If you don't want
Mexicans walking into this country, make sure no one is offering them jobs.
You could even pass a law about it. You could even enforce the law. Don't
blame them.

Seeya round town, Moscow.

"Uh, how about a 1-strike law. Death doesn't seem too extreme for a Level-3
sex offender."

- Dale "Comb-Over" Courtney (August 3, 2005)