[Vision2020] For Vandal football fans

Carl Westberg carlwestberg846 at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 6 07:52:23 PDT 2006

Something for the Idaho Vandal fans among us to ponder.  From Stewart
Mandel's "Mailbag" on Sports Illustrated's website...........Stewart, how
will Dennis Erickson fare at Idaho? While the Vandals have never been a
powerhouse, there was a time when they would win more than one or two games
a season. Erickson is a proven winner in the college ranks, so how do you
see him doing over the next few years.
--Ryan C., McCall, Idaho

Erickson's track record is so lengthy and so consistent I think we can all
predict fairly easily how this story will turn out. Erickson will turn the
Vandals into winners sooner rather than later. This is a program less than
two years removed from the Sun Belt, so at this point Idaho is light years
behind WAC powers Boise State and Fresno State, but it's easy to see
Erickson closing the gap and at least turning the Vandals into a bowl team
within a couple of years. The second thing that will happen, at about the
same time, is Idaho will develop a reputation as the WAC's "thug" team, its
games marked by the alarming number of unsportsmanlike conduct penalties.
And then, finally, Erickson will bolt for the next big offer that comes
along, most likely within three years of his arrival.

Ouch......Carl Westberg Jr.