[Vision2020] A New Witch Hunt

debismith at moscow.com debismith at moscow.com
Thu Jul 6 00:52:46 PDT 2006

Thanks, Dick, for the clarification. I, too, think that anyone's religious orientation is just fine. I
don't have any problem with Christianity---it gets lots of folks through tough times, helps them
access Diety, and gives them a system they can follow to be good with the world and one
another.

My gripes are not with Christianity, not even with any branch of it. My gripes are with the uses
to which some people put their religion. This is not limited to those of the Christian persuasion.
I don't recall anyone on V2020 saying Christianity is bad (but I'm old and forgetful, so please
cite those times for me). I think you will find a lot of disagreement with Doug Wilson's brand of
Christianity, and a lot of Christians expressing that disagreement on V2020.

 If Doug Wilson, and his Kirkers, choose a belief system, more power to them. I'm glad it
works for them, and fervently hope it helps them in dark times. However, the means Doug uses
to control others, the willingness of the Kirker Boys to harm others, the use of socio-economic
blackmail evidenced by their Pastor to influence others, and the nasty and vicious language
they level at all not within their flock do not recommend Christianity to those with functioning
brain cells. This behavior gets a rise out of Christians, Pagans, Jews, Jainists, Muslims, and
just about every other faith community. Doug has even insulted the Mormons (the religious
group of my extended family) by declaring the Church of JESUS CHRIST Latter Day Saints, to
be non-Christian. He even had flyers put on windshields at the Mormon Church to that effect!

Dougs theology isn't the issue. It's not about religion, it's about Doug, his toadies, his tactics,
and his political agenda. He wants a Doug Nation beginning in Moscow. He would exile my
gay and lesbian friends, he would *not suffer* my Wiccan friends to live, he would remake
Moscow into a bastion of the Old South. All who aren't on his religious *page* could be
enslaved for their own good. (Gosh, Oh Dear, sleeping in the garage would toughen their
souls....Once they accept Doug as their saviour, they could come into the Big House.)

 I, for one, don't think Doug believes a single word of his own *theology*. For him, it is about
POWER, not about religion, belief, faith, Jesus Christ, God, or the Bible. He's smart, he's
sociopathic, and he needs attention like a bottom feeding carp needs water. Take away the
audience, take away the money, take away the sycophants, and Doug deflates like a balloon
from the Dollar Store on a hot day.

When I first moved to Moscow, 20 some years back, Doug was holding Bible studies in his
garage after having problems with his own father over religion. Now he has a million$+
*industry*, tax free, which imports to Moscow, through his *connections*,  people who feel
disenfranchised by the real world. They get many breaks for housing, business loans, and
schooling for their children. Some wise up fast, and do what they can to distance themselves,
but many are trapped by the Wilson Machine. This isn't a Pastor, this is a world class
racketeer!! His connections to really nasty, racist, and scary folks are well documented on
*Not On The Palouse* ( I know you just don't like Tom, but he has done the research! Just for
shits and giggles, check out Doug's links to the League of the South).

Again, I have absolutely no problems with the Christian Faith. I have no problems with any
religious belief system---from my Pagan point of view, it all takes us to the same place in the
end---Be Thee of any Faith, I will embrace and defend Thee. Be Thee a power hungry, lying,
despotic, bigoted so-and-so and I will fight Thee to the end of time!!

Debi R-S