[Vision2020] Airport, something to think about

Chris Storhok cstorhok at co.fairbanks.ak.us
Wed Jul 5 13:32:06 PDT 2006

Roger,
Yes!!!  I am so glad to see you bring up this subject again, if there
was one project that I know would benefit Latah, Whitman, Nez Perce, and
Asotin counties this is it.   The reality is that the area's population
just cannot support 2 commercial airports and that is borne out by the
lack of service both Lewiston-Clarkston and Moscow-Pullman have.  I know
the folks at both airports try real hard to attract in commercial
aviation but there is only so much seat mileage the region can support.
I noticed that M-P is due for some major federal $ to upgrade the
facilities and improve the runway and I have a hunch L-C will get some
funding as well; why not pool the funds, combine it with the boding
authorities of the ports of Whitman, Clarkston, and Lewiston and build
one really nice regional airport?
Airlines target airports that serve over 100,000, neither L-C or M-P do;
yet together obviously they will.  A regional airport should be able to
attract in the discounters like Southwest, as well as convince the
majors like Alaska, Northwest, Delta to provide service to places like
Minneapolis, Chicago, Denver and even San Francisco.  Believe me a 20
minute drive from Moscow to hop a flight to the above destinations will
sure beat the heck out flying Horizon from either L-C or M-P to Seattle
and then hoping another flight to the large hubs (or trying to save a
buck and driving to Spokane).  	Passenger leakage from the M-P region to
Spokane is well documented and has always been a major thorn in the side
of the M-P operation.  Families will drive the 89 miles and pay the high
parking fees to save the $100's a ticket that flying from Spokane saves.

	Add to the local situation the slow evolution from the hub
airport business model to the direct flight model that airlines are
undergoing in response to high fuel prices and the advantages of a
combined facility become really apparent.
	Making this airport reality will be tough, there are so many
powerful interest groups, politicians, community leaders, etc. between
the four cities and counties  that will come out against such a
proposal; however if it is packaged correctly with buy-in from the
airlines then the regional airport may happen.   The current facilities
would make great pure general aviation airports and even might need some
financial support from the larger regional airport; however this concept
must be seriously examined.

Hope all is well,
Chris