[Vision2020] News from the Legislature

Shirley Ringo ringoshirl at moscow.com
Tue Jan 31 16:41:12 PST 2006

Visionaries:

Today, the Department of Corrections reported to the Joint Appropriations and Finance Committee.  It was an interesting report.  You may be interested in some of the details.  (I apologize for the length.)

 Mr. Beauclair joined other agency heads in expressing concern about his employees.  Low pay is a serious issue.  That, combined with stress of the work contributes to the department's losing 30% of employees each year.  The cost of training a new officer is $10,000.

Accrued overtime for correction officers in 2005 required comp time of 63,323 hours.  The cost of that comp time is $1,196,000.  At $10,000 per officer for retraining, the cost of losing 275 correctional officers is $2,750,000.

Sexual offenders comprise 19% of the prison population.  There are 33 violent sexual predators in the state.  Mr. Beauclair believes a system should be assessment driven, and there should be a better assessment of those likely to re-offend.  We do not have an effective treatment program for sexual offenders.

The offender population forecast anticipates an average increase of 5.6% a year over the next four years.  That means the incarcerated offender population will increase almost 400 a year over the next four years.

The Department has attempted creative solutions to growth.  They have triple bunked, used tents, remodeled facilities, added cots, streamlined and shortened sanctions.  We cannot stretch the system further without risking intervention.  By a Federal Court Decision, we have been required to send inmates out of state.  In part, the decision reads, "After reviewing the record in this case, the Court is convinced the IDOC officials would prefer to incarcerate inmates within the parameters of the Eights Amendment standards, but it has continually been denied funding for the tremendous growth in inmate population.  The cost of attorney fees related to this decision was $156,000.

The cost of sending inmates out of state is $53 per inmate, but there are related costs, such as that of transporting the inmates.  In addition, out of state contractors take model inmates, who suffer from the loss of community connection.

52% of Idaho inmates say methamphetamine was the primary reason for their incarceration.

At least 2000 Idaho inmates are mentally ill.

Director Beauclair recommends initiation of the Correctional Alternative Placement Program (CAPP) He requests $1,504,500 to meet financial needs associated with contracting with a private provider who will build, own, and operate a community treatment facility in Idaho.  This would be a 400 bed facility.

Emerging issues for the Department deal with sex offenders (treatment can impact this group), medical costs (600 inmates have hepatitis C, and there are issues associated with an aging population), and mental health. In California, the federal government has assumed a role in health care.  This could be a costly remedy.

The Governor's recommendation for the appropriation is $161,926,100.

There is general agreement that Tom Beauclair is a great manager working under very difficult conditions.  Idaho received a national award for reduced recidivism based on science.  In addition, the number of inmates who complete the GED is up 8%.

Let me know if you would like more information.