[Vision2020] Another WalMart impact on the little guy

Nils Peterson nils_peterson at wsu.edu
Tue Jan 31 06:23:06 PST 2006

When I first read this I was shocked, "How unChristian," then I thought of
my God-given right to shop and said Hallelujah, finally an end to price
gouging...

Christian bookstores selling fewer books
By ROSE FRENCH / Associated Press Writer

NASHVILLE -- Christian bookstore owner Steve Gray was counting on big sales
from the "Left Behind" series -- until Wal-Mart started selling the titles
much cheaper.

"That hurt us big time," Gray said. "We had invested a lot into those
books."

After that, Gray decided to restock his store in Eddyville, Ky., to offer
more of what Wal-Mart doesn't have: hymnals and communion supplies.

To compete against chains and big retailers, independent Christian
booksellers like Gray are looking beyond books and selling music, gifts,
jewelry, stationery and church supplies. Books now account for only 40
percent of sales in Christian retail stores.

Hundreds of retailers were in Nashville this week for the Christian
Booksellers Association exhibition, which is focused on ways to boost
business for independent vendors.

Bill Anderson, president and CEO of the CBA, said independent retailers need
to emphasize their strengths: wider selection, more knowledgeable employees
and partnerships with local churches.

"The reality is that they have to be more competitive," he said. "How in the
world do they make it up against the behemoths of Barnes & Noble and Virgin
Records and Wal-Mart? You operate on your strengths."

Christian retailers continue to struggle. Membership in the CBA peaked at
around 3,000 in the early 1990s, but now fewer than 2,300 stores belong to
the association.

In 2005, 337 Christian retailers closed, according to the CBA.

"This past year was another tough one for many member stores," Anderson
said. "The reality is we live in a Wal-Mart ecosystem."

The success of best-selling Christian titles like "The Purpose-Driven Life"
and the "Left Behind" series has unexpectedly hurt Christian bookstores by
attracting the book chains and discount retailers.

Read more... http://www.southernstandard.net/news.php?viewStory=28429