[Vision2020] What I learned (aka thinking v. self-deceipt)

Jim Meyer m1e2y3e4 at moscow.com
Mon Jan 30 07:27:44 PST 2006

Are you a thinking person? You know, the kind of person that is
introspective enough to test his/her own thoughts and prejudices when
confronted with a differing truth. Can you really THINK?

"Emory University psychologist Drew Weston has found that our brains
have a convenient way of processing facts that challenge our political
convictions. Using MRI scanners, Weston found that when committed
Republicans and Democrats were confronted with negative information
about politicians they supported, the parts of the brain responsible for
reasoning essentially shut down--and "emotion circuits" lit up. As the
subjects dealt with their inner conflict by discounting the new
information, the brains "reward centers" lit up--a response similar to
what addicts experience when they get a fix. Biases can be overcome,
Weston tells The New York Times, but only if people are willing to
engage in "ruthless self-reflection"--a quality , he notes, that's
"rarely talked about in politics." Nor is it likely to be. It's so much
more rewarding to close our minds"  The Week, Feb 3rd 2006.

What I learned recently is that two die-hard Republicans on V2020
believe Molly Ivins is an idiot--as is anyone who would even consider
her thoughts is an idiot, as evidenced by both their initial
comments--"Are you kidding?" and then by their avoidance of addressing
the questions Molly asks, and one of them even  going so far as to put
words in her mouth she didn't say and then discounting them.

Well, here here are the facts about mine safety as I can discern them.
--Under the Bush Administration, since 2001, fines have been routinely
dismissed or diminished--one example is $450,000 being reduced to $3000.

--Under the Bush Administration, the requirement to have two shafts, one
for the miners ventilation and one for the coal conveyor has been
unenforced.

--That it is considerably cheaper to pay for a dead miner than pay for
all miner's safety. It costs $20 each for a personal pager sized device
that can locate a miner in the mine. It is made in Australia, by the
way. It costs about $800 for a text messaging device that can allow
those outside the mine to communicate with trapped miners. These items
were not in use at the Sago mine. The company owning the Sago Mine paid
for the equivalent of pine box funeral and made Cobra insurance payments
for, I believe 1 & 1/2 years for the family members of killed miners.
The family members also receive $150,000 or $300,000 in life insurance
payments. That is it. If you do the math, you can see that it is less
costly to pay for killed miners than it is to pay for their safety.

--Although mine deaths have gone down over 30 years, it needs to be
taken into account that the numbers of underground miners has gone done
dramatically also, probably by more than 1/2.

--That since 2001, federal mine safety regulators emphasized getting
along with the company--not miner safety.

--That like Katrina, some questionable people, closely related to
industry, were in positions affecting mine safety, one of those being an
OSHA head..

In other words, Molly Ivins asked perfectly reasonable questions and
these were entirely dismissed by some of you on V2020. I guess your
reward center must be just glowing.

By the way, the CSPAN website has the Senate Appropriations Mine Safety
subcommittee hearings on it. Do what I did, listen to that and then do a
little research on your own. And then think (without the usual emotion).

Jim Meyer