[Vision2020] mangling spanish

keely emerinemix kjajmix1 at msn.com
Sun Jan 29 15:23:18 PST 2006

Your Spanish-speaking sensible schoolmarm jumps in:

"Muchacho" is "boy," "male youth," or, with familiarity, "guy" or "dude."
"Muchacha" is "girl," "young woman," or, with familiarity, "gal" or (among
friends) "chick."   It can be used for homies, fellows, compadres, etc., and
so can other, more familiar words.  One of my friends calls me "chica," but
I would never call her mother that; many of my male Mexican friends greet
each other with "carnal," but I would sound absurd if I did.

Of course, the ability to sometimes sound absurd in two languages is
something I both treasure and treat warily . . .

keely