[Vision2020] the pledge

J Ford privatejf32 at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 29 13:26:12 PST 2006

The reasons that people object to WalMart, KMart, Target, Costco, etc. has
NOTHING to do with limiting shoppers choices and certainly has NOTHING to do
with limiting the poor (personally, that argument is so lame, its hardly
worth much more notice than that) and it has nothing to do with dictating
what a landowner can/cannot do with their land (BTW, that is done daily -
can't build a fence on your property higher than 4ft., can't build just any
kind of building anywhere you want in town/county, etc.)

What it has to do with is the fear (or better yet, concern) for the economy
and the autonomy of the town.  As well, it has to do with what people see
corporations do to their workers (or not do to the them; i.e., provide
proper level of health insurance, decent pay, etc.)

If those arguing on an emotional level could just rise out of that and look
into the facts and present logical, non-emotional arguments, it might help
move things along.

The arguements given below are pretty weak.  Sorry, but "Someone wants to
walk or ride a bike to WalMart"?  What does THAT have to do with ANYthing?

And please, for once keep the response on a non-nasty level - just write
about the facts or arguments as you see them; don't attack the person
writing about this, ok?  (Please re-read my statement in para 3 - the
ARGUMENT is weak, not the person making it.)

J  :]