[Vision2020] Did Wenders and Harkins Enjoy Their Tenure?

Jeff Harkins jeffh at moscow.com
Sat Jan 28 22:20:33 PST 2006

It is not clear to me why Prof. Gier raised my
name in his diatribe about tenure.  The only
position I was arguing was the "right to
work".  Perhaps he felt the need to remind
everyone about the contributions he has made to
assist folks at UI that have had a difficulty
with their position.  Over the years, he has
involved himself in many labor questions.  For that I know many are grateful.

Since Prof. Gier has raised the tenure issue,
readers might be interested in the definition of tenure at UI.

Here it is (emphasis added):

A. DEFINITION OF TENURE. Tenure is a condition of
presumed continuing employment that is accorded a
faculty member by the regents, usually after a
probationary period, on the basis of an
evaluation and affirmative recommendation by a
faculty committee with concurrence by the faculty
member’s departmental administrator and college
dean and by the president. Tenure is granted only
when there is a reasonable assurance based on
performance, that the faculty member will
continue to meet the standards for tenure. After
tenure has been awarded, the faculty member’s
service can be terminated only for adequate
cause, the burden of proof resting with UI [see
<http://www.webs.uidaho.edu/fsh/3910.html>3910],
except under conditions of financial exigency as
declared by the board [see
<http://www.webs.uidaho.edu/fsh/3970.html>3970],
in situations where extreme shifts of enrollment
have eliminated the justification for a position,
or where the board has authorized the elimination
of, or a substantial reduction in, an academic program. [ed. 7-98]

B. PURPOSE OF TENURE. Tenure has as its
fundamental purpose the protection of academic
freedom in order to maintain a free and open
intellectual atmosphere. The justification lies
in the character of scholarly activity, which
requires protection from improper influences from
either outside or inside the university. A tenure
policy strengthens the capability of a university
to attract and retain superior teachers and
scholars as members of the faculty. UI’s tenure
policy improves the quality of the faculty by
requiring that each faculty member’s performance
be carefully scrutinized before tenure is granted
and periodically thereafter [see
<http://www.webs.uidaho.edu/fsh/3320.html#C. P>3320 C]. [ed. 7-98]

As you astute readers will note, the purpose of
tenure is to protect academic freedom, not
provide position security.  You cannot be
dismissed simply for engaging in research or
espousing views that might be contrary to the accepted paradigms or norms.

Of course, note that faculty members can be
terminated for "adequate cause".  As I looked
through the list of "accomplishments" by the AFT,
I note that each and every one of the cases
involved the process or protocol used to support
the "termination".  It does not appear that
"breach of tenure" was challenged in any of those
cases.  As a matter of fact, as I recall my 20+
years of service at UI, the only case where
tenure was at the center of a faculty termination
threat involved a renowned economics professor
whose research and conclusions about farm
subsidies (sugar beets, as I recall) were
challenged by a group of disgruntled farmers who
suggested in the strongest terms that that
particular professor be discharged.  My
recollection is that President Gibb nixed that
action quickly.  I don't recall that Prof Gier or
AFT took any particular stand on that case - they
may have, but I don't recall it.  Also, I did not
see it on the list.  Perhaps Prof. Gier has a comment on that.

In any case, Prof. Gier, I am struggling to find
the thread that connects my post on "right to work" and your post.

In the meantime, thanks for all your help in
assisting those whose employment status was
interrupted by application of a flawed or manipulated termination process.

Oh, not to denigrate your comment about the
$2,000,000 paid by Idaho to settle faculty
employment cases (but that would barely cover one
years' interest on the $26 million lost on
University Place). No specific agenda in citing
this other than to place it in some kind of context.