[Vision2020] Not Good Neighbors

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Sat Jan 28 07:27:35 PST 2006

>From today's (January 28, 2006) Lewiston Tribune with a special thanks to
Nick Gier -

Not good neighbors

In April 2000, I gave a talk to the students and faculty of New Saint
Andrews College. At that time, I congratulated Doug Wilson on the success of
both NSA and Logos School.

In December 2002, I invited NSA faculty and students to the regional meeting
of the American Academy of Religion to be held in Moscow. NSA President Roy
Atwood defended NSA's absence by saying that they "had better things to do."

In a letter to Moscow-Pullman Daily News May 23, 2003, Atwood wrote that his
college was an accredited institution. The problem, however, is that NSA did
not receive its accreditation until December 2005.

In October 2003, the community learned of the existence of Wilson's booklet
on slavery in the antebellum South in which he stated that "there has never
been a multiracial society which has existed with such mutual intimacy and
harmony in the history of the world" (page 24).

When two University of Idaho history professors wrote a paper criticizing
Wilson, his reaction was to write Gov. Dirk Kempthorne and request that the
professors be disciplined.

An important academic virtue is collegiality, which consists of respect for
-- and cooperation with -- all members of the academic community. I believe
that we can conclude from NSA's actions that it has not been a very good
academic citizen.

The supreme irony is that nine of the 15 NSA faculty have or are expecting
13 UI degrees. For more on NSA's academic transgressions see:

http://users.adelphia.net/~nickgier/nsaccred.htm

Nick Gier

Moscow

Very well stated, Nick.

New Saint Andrews College, owned and operated by The Whinery at the
southeast corner of Fifth and Washington.

Take care, Moscow.

Tom Hansen

Just Another Intolerista Liberal Elitista Diversity-Cleansing Wacko Nutjob
Loose in the Palouse Doing What Comes Natural

"I think one of the best ways to support education is to make successful
private schools like Logos prosper through tax exemption."

- Donovan Arnold (July 11, 2005)