[Vision2020] Safer Crossings

Michael Curley curley at turbonet.com
Fri Jan 27 21:26:50 PST 2006

J, Tom, Tom, Matt, Donovan, and all:

Traffic signal placement on both Highway 8 (east side and west side
of town) and on Hwy. 95 are controlled by the Idaho Transportation
Dept, not the City of Moscow.  Rather than traffic control Hwy 8 at
Mt. View, the intersection was rerouted to make the sight distance
meet requirements that now allow southbound Mt. View to enter Hwy 8.
That eliminated the short 1-way from 8 to White Ave.

All three locations are dangerous.   The presentation (mentioned at
the beginning of this thread) at the last Council meeting showed some
options for safer pedestrian crossings (automatic lighting built into
the roadway was part) on 3rd/Hwy 8 near Ambassador Auto where
eastbound traffic funnels from 2 to 1 lane as well as at Mt. View and
D.  After discussion, I believe Council asked staff to look into
adding the crossing near Tri-State to the grant request.
Nevertheless, even if the safety is upgraded, I often see pedestrians
pay attention to traffic from one direction only, cars in the right
travel lane passing cars that are stopped in the left travel lane--
"oh, see they were stopped for pedestrians, good thing we just missed
them..." and bicyclists also in danger in some fashion.

There is probably no simple answer, but UI, the City, and County
might well join in some pedestrian/driver awareness (and
enforcement?) efforts before we lose someone.

Having just watched the video, Tom H. can correct me if I miss, but I
believe the cost quoted to add a traffic light at Mt. View and D was
in the neighborhood of $150,000.  Council discussed requested further
information about adding stop signs rather than (or in addition to)
just the crosswalk upgrade.

Mike