[Vision2020] 600 Jam Wal-Mart Traffic Session

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Fri Jan 27 06:05:03 PST 2006

>From the front page of today's (January 27, 2006) Spokesman Review -

600 jam Wal-Mart traffic session

South Hill neighbors oppose store

Melodie Little

Staff writer

January 27, 2006

A tough crowd of more than 600 men, women and children protested a Wal-Mart
Supercenter proposed on the South Hill in a raucous meeting Thursday night
at Ferris High School.

While many took a "not-in-my-backyard" stance, others looked at the bigger
picture: Not in anybody's backyard.

Brad Read called for people to unite against both Wal-Mart and the Sam's
Club the corporation is proposing on the North Side.

The audience, who squeezed into the school cafeteria, struggled to hear
details from a local firm conducting a traffic study on the project over an
inadequate PA system that cracked and cut out as people spoke.

"It's absolutely insulting that a multi-billion dollar corporation cannot
have a decent microphone," one man commented as several people in the
audience chanted, "They probably bought it at Wal-Mart."

Within an hour it became clear that no city officials or Wal-Mart Stores
Inc. corporate executives were visibly present. Landowner Harlan Douglass,
who is selling the parcel to Wal-Mart, seemed a no-show as well.

Architectural drawings showed an attractive two-fronted, 186,000- square
foot facility adorned with trees. Wal-Mart would front 44th Street,
literally transforming it into an arterial, and segue into a store front on
Regal Street. The Regal Street storefront would have suites for independent
retailers. Parking would be on street level, but underneath an elevated
store, on top of the store and nearly invisible from the street.

Seattle-based attorney John McCullough said the design is new for the
northwest. But the unique aesthetics garnered few points with most
residents. Many stood in long lines waiting for a chance to rally the crowd
at take potshots at the world's largest retailer.

A Seattle-based attorney contracted to represent Wal-Mart and
representatives from CLC Associates, a local engineering company, lacked
crucial details about the store - which further angered some residents.

There were traces of contention before the meeting started as 54-year-old
neighbor Tim McHenry told the attorney, "We're going to fight you here. We
don't want any part of you here."

When asked whether the store would be open 24-hours a day, as rumored,
Wal-Mart's representatives declined to give a firm answer. The men also
couldn't comment on whether RVers would be allowed to sleep overnight in the
parking lot - which is several blocks from Adams Elementary and Ferris High
schools. The company attorney declined to answer questions about the average
traffic impact for a store of that size.

"Why are we commenting on traffic impact if you can't answer how many cars
are going to be here?" one woman shouted.

Kevin Picanco a traffic engineer for CLC Associates, gave preliminary
estimates of additional trips on the roads and quoted figures ranging from
as low as 150 added trips during weekday mornings to as many as 500 and hour
on busy weekends. But the crowd didn't buy those numbers either. A young man
citied a study saying the impact on a busy Saturday is 8,500 to 9,000 cars,
a figure the men didn't dispute.

Some made references to recent documentaries, blasting the company for
exploiting foreign workers and paying "poverty wages."

Others criticized Wal-Mart Stores Inc. for trying to move into an already
congested neighborhood that has nearby schools and an outdoor sports
complex.

Janet Schaffer, 45, was among a vocal minority who wanted a store nearby so
she doesn't have to drive across town to shop.

"We have a family of six and it's difficult to find all the things you need
for your family," Schaffer said before the meeting.

But most of the people who stepped up to the microphone were adamantly
opposed to the project, stating concerns about added traffic, including
semis, on arterials that run by a half dozen schools on the lower and upper
South Hill and by Spokane Youth Sports Association's outdoor soccer complex.

"The South Hill was not designed to handle such an amount of traffic," said
Ricardo Lopez, 29.

Ann Morlin, a 42-year-old who lives near the proposed store, spent last
Saturday handing out about 130 fliers opposing the project to neighbors and
local businesses. At the meeting, her kids, Maggie Henley, 9, and Alex
Henley, 7, donned neon sandwich board protesting Wal-Mart.

Shelly Farmer, a 41-year-old mother of two, said she sat through most of the
meeting in disbelief. Having moved to the area from San Diego, two years
ago, Shelly Farmer, 41, about the impact of added traffic on her family's
everyday life.

"We left for quality of life issues," Farmer said. "I'm sitting here scared
to death I'm going to be right back where I started before."

However, she said, the size and passion of the crowd gives her hope.

""I'm very impressed with the citizens here.'

In the immortal words of Nancy Reagan, "Just say 'No'".

Take care, Moscow.

"A bad cause will ever be supported by bad means and bad men."

- Thomas Paine (English Writer, 1737-1809)