[Vision2020] the pledge

joekc at adelphia.net joekc at adelphia.net
Fri Jan 27 05:48:00 PST 2006

Roger,
I don't recall anyone saying that council should not say the Pledge because it takes too much time. Donovan posted that it was a bad reason to offer but no one -- in my recollection -- every offered this as a reason. Don Huskey claimed that saying the Pledge was a waste of time but this is a different point. Picking up a penny is a waste of time -- in the end you only have a penny for your efforts -- but it doesn't take a lot of time.
I agree -- very much -- with the last point that you made but one can support either side of the debate with that point. For instance, no one is holding a gun to anyone's head and requiring them NOT to say the Pledge. Those who wish to recite the Pledge before council meetings can do so. I think they should do it BEFORE council starts since council and the mayor have decided not to say it on a regular basis. I find it interesting that some folks are not satisfied with saying the Pledge or a prayer in private. They must say it in front of others and must compel others to say it with them. This indicates to me that saying the Pledge or praying is more of a political gesture than it is a patriotic or religious one. For SOME people, at least.
--
Joe Campbell

---- lfalen wrote:

Most of the comments for not saying the pledge are accurate enough, except for it takings to long. It takes less than a minute. That is not much time out of any busy schedule. It is true that scoundrels would not have o problem saying the pledge. As samuel Johnson said " Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel". None of this is a justification for not saying it. That is like "throwing the baby out with the bath water" The pledge serves a useful purpose. It is good to reaffirm allegiance to our country. The continued dropping of things patriotic eventually leads to a disrespect for the country. There is enough revisionist history already that reminds everyone of how many worts we have. No one is holding a gun to anyone's head and requiring them to say it. Have it presented. Those that want to recite it can do so. Any one who does not want to can remain silent or leave out passages they don't agree with.

Roger

List services made available by First Step Internet,
mailto:Vision2020 at moscow.com