[Vision2020] The Friday Letter from UI President Tim White (January 27, 2006)

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Fri Jan 27 05:34:31 PST 2006

Copied and pasted below is the Friday Letter from UI President Tim White -

University of Idaho

Office of the President

Moscow, Idaho 83844-3151

Phone: 208-885-6365

Fax: 208-885-6558

The Friday Letter

A Newsletter for University of Idaho Alumni and Friends Jan. 27, 2006

Dear Friends,

It's been a very important and wonderful week for the University of Idaho.

In addition to making our presentation to the legislature's Joint Finance
Appropriation Committee, University leaders - students and employees alike -
met with both the Senate and House Education committees and individual
legislators. Our message to the legislature is simple: The University of
Idaho's Plan for Renewal continues to be a success and we need their
continued support for our efforts.

The University also hosted our annual Legislative Breakfast Wednesday. There
were wonderful displays from the colleges, extension offices and other
programs, showcasing many of the extraordinary programs and research
projects at the University. It was a great opportunity for employees, alumni
and friends to visit with legislators about this great institution.

The legislature has moved quickly to help address our top priority; they
approved a bill to provide a 3 percent average change in employee
compensation.

On Tuesday, Gov. Kempthorne gave his signature to the bill for immediate
merit-based pay raises for state employees. We are grateful to the Governor
and legislature for this help and the alacrity of their action.

Speaking of the Plan for Renewal, a Blue Ribbon Committee identified eight
finalists from across the University community that will compete for a
portion of $1 million in funds made available by our Strategic Investment
Initiative. These proposals represent strategic emerging and existing
activities at the University, and are responsive to the needs of the people
of Idaho. They also constitute challenges to - and opportunities for - the
state's future. Our investment will allow them to rise to a higher level of
achievement and impact. You can read more about the proposals on the Web at
www.today.uidaho.edu/details.aspx?id=3389.

Tim White

President

Here's the latest news from the University of Idaho:

University of Idaho Professor of Art Bill Woolston has been named interim
dean of the College of Art and Architecture. He will begin his appointment
January 29. Woolston will oversee creating a new professional college for
disciplines in architecture, art, interior design and landscape
architecture.

"This is an important time in the transition of the College of Art and
Architecture," said Doug Baker, UI provost and executive vice president.

"Bill will lead efforts to prepare the college for its official re-birth in
the fall of 2006." Woolston is a professor of art and design, and has served
as chair of the Department of Art and Design since 2004. A search for a
permanent dean for the college will begin this summer.

The UI Alumni Association has named its Silver and Gold recipients for 2006.

Created in 1982, the award recognizes alumni who have a "distinguished
record of achievement and service in their specialized area of endeavor,
thus bringing honor and recognition to the university." The 2006 winners

are: Nate Calvin '93 of Boise, who co-developed a flight display system that
revolutionized air time for pilots; Matthew Espe '80 of Newton Square,
Penn., chairman, president and CEO of IKON Office Solutions, Inc.; Jess
Walters '60, '63 of Boise, appointed to the Idaho Court of Appeals and a
member of the Idaho Supreme Court from 1997-2004; C. Scott Green '84 of Glen
Head, N.Y., who is employed by Weil, Gotshal and Manges, one of the largest
law firms in the world. He is nationally recognized in the practice of
corporate governance; and Keith Riffle '62,'63 of Bellevue, Wash., an
entrepreneur and business leader, who founded a wireless cable company for
farmers in Yakima and North West Cable in Boise. 2007 Silver and Gold
nominations can be submitted to the UI Alumni Office by Aug. 1.

Jon Mellen '61 generously contributed an additional $50,000 to The Jon
Mellen Family Athletic Scholarship Endowment at the University of Idaho.

This ongoing scholarship was established to benefit male or female
student-athletes from the state of Idaho who are members in good standing of
an intercollegiate athletic team. Receiving the scholarship in 2005 was
Jason Guirffe from Eagle, a sprinter on the Vandal track team majoring in
mechanical engineering. "We are very pleased to continue in our effort to
help support outstanding students at the University of Idaho," said Mellen.

Currently, CEO of American International Developers, Mellen was raised in
Mountain Home, ranched in Fairfield and continues his ties to the state
through his family and friends, his alma mater, Delta Chi fraternity and
several other business interests. He resides in Paradise Valley, Ariz., with
his wife, Lana, and two sons, Andrew and Levi. For more information about
scholarships for students at the University of Idaho, contact the Office of
Development at (208) 885-7069 or online at www.uidaho.edu/givetoidaho.

Take care, Moscow (you, too, Vandals).

UI '96

Work like you don't need the money.