[Vision2020] pledge/patriotism

Tom Ivie the_ivies3 at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 26 17:12:59 PST 2006

I don't need a pledge of allegiance to show my patriotism or support for the troops.  I spent the first 14 years of my life moving from one military base to the next.  My dad was a careerist and I am proud of it.  I watched him pass up many career opportunities because of "patriotism".  From Penzoil to Morrison Knudson.  He and his family gave up a lot for his country and my appreciation for that comes from him.  I don't think it is fair to ask "how do you show support for the troops."  For some people it is a highly personal thing.  It is different for different people.  Some people choose to serve in the military out of patriotic beliefs (some for economics, but we won't go there), some people think possitive thoughts for the troops, some tie a ribbon around a tree, others light up their house for all to see, while yet others fly a flag or stick a magnet or bumper sticker on their car.  They don't do it to be acknowledged by others, they do it because that is what works fo!
 r them.
 My 10 yr. old son chooses to write letters and draw pictures and sends them to "soldier" : Iraq or Afghanistan, because that is where his cousins have been.

Matt Decker <mattd2107 at hotmail.com> wrote:  My question is how do YOU show support? Saying you are supportive doesnt
make it so. Im not saying your not, but rather intrigued by the ?/point.

Take care,
Matt