[Vision2020] Daily News: Mayor defends decision to stop reciting pledge at council meetings

Area Man (Dan C) areaman at moscow.com
Thu Jan 26 07:05:53 PST 2006

Mayor defends decision to stop reciting pledge at council meetings; Move
upsets some, from veteran to former mayor

By Omie Drawhorn, Daily News staff writer

The Moscow City Council won't be reciting the Pledge of Allegiance
before meetings, but that doesn't mean council members aren't patriotic,
Mayor Nancy Chaney said.

Chaney took many by surprise when she opted for a Martin Luther King Jr.
quote to open the Jan. 17 City Council meeting instead of the
traditional recitation.

"We're not automatically saying it at every City Council meeting; you
can still expect to hear it on occasion, but we are finding other ways
to express our patriotism," Chaney said.

Chaney made the decision to leave the Pledge of Allegiance off the
agenda, but said she checked with several City Council members, who
agreed with her.

"Some of the city councilors expressed concern about saying the pledge
just to go through the motions," she said, adding the decision has
nothing to do with a lack of patriotism.

"I grew up in a patriotic household," she said. "My father was a Marine,
and I still have flags hanging up" in my house.

The tradition was started by former Mayor Marshall Comstock during his
term.

"When I first became mayor, we only recited the Pledge of Allegiance on
a day following a national holiday," Comstock said. "I thought 'What
about saying it before every council meeting?' "

Comstock said he was disappointed to hear the Pledge of Allegiance will
no longer be a regular part of the City Council agenda.

"I guess I was a little surprised; Why is there a reason to change it?"
he said. "It's a very appropriate way to start a council meeting."

When Cub Scouts and Boy Scouts were in attendance, Comstock would
encourage them to participate.

Councilman John Weber wasn't present at the last meeting but was
informed of the change by curious customers at the Sears store where he
is co-owner.

"I have no problem with doing the Pledge of Allegiance. A lot of
veterans feel the (pledge) is appropriate and are unhappy with the
change," he said.

Don Swanson, Moscow resident, is one who is upset. "I think it's bunk,"
said the World War II veteran. "I think they should do it. It's a
disgrace to us guys who were in (the war) and got shot at."

"There are some traditions I just don't want to see go away," Comstock
said. But Chaney promised to find new ways to express patriotism.

Whether it's having Cub Scouts recite the pledge, a high school student
reciting a poem, or other avenues. "We want to find a way to show
appreciation for folks who go the extra mile for their community," she
said.