[Vision2020] Wal-Mart is Unwelcome

Pat Kraut pkraut at moscow.com
Wed Jan 25 10:38:12 PST 2006

This is not true. My father told me that those parts of the hill have always
been more slummy than other parts. It is where a lot of the 'service' people
lived during better times for the hill. When I say 'service' I mean the
blacks and those who were maids and cooks. I talked with him about this when
I was 21 and had returned from Georgia and had experienced so much
discrimination. We talked about the 'sections' of Spokane that were where
the 'blacks' lived and where they didn't and it was the time I actually
realized the extent of the problem even locally. Dad said that his opinion
had always been that they wanted to live there and in that 'way'. But, we
both realized that was no longer true and that we needed to help it change
with our votes. I can remeber during the 1940's driving through certain
sections of Spokane and this is one we avoided because of the 'problem
people'. The freeway did not do it.