[Vision2020] I've been arrested . . .

Joan Opyr joanopyr at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 23 10:39:17 PST 2006

No, I'm a Seahawks fan, so I haven't been arrested by Brother Carl.
Instead, I've been arrested by the grammar police.  Why?  For having
written "til death do we part" in my last post re: the Pledge of
Allegiance instead of the grammatically and historically correct "til
death us do part."  What can I say?  That I was typing quickly and not
paying or attention?  Or should I tell the truth and say that I didn't
wish to reveal my unseemly (and un-Kosher) familiarity with the English
Book of Common Prayer?

Carl, will you lend me bail money?  Or, rather, bribe money?  I suspect
the grammar cop in question might could be bought off by a couple of
beers; I think he's a Seahawks fan.

Joan

PS: Might could is what is called a double modal.  I refuse to
apologize for my use of the double modal, and I will not stop using it.
  Might could is an important part of my Southern linguistic heritage --
right up there with calling peanut butter crackers "nabs" and using the
word "nary," as in "Hain't ya got nary nother doughnut?"