[Vision2020] light pollution

Jeff Harkins jeffh at moscow.com
Sun Jan 22 21:21:59 PST 2006

That is the problem with parody - the parodied
generally don't appreciate the humor - they are
often blind to it.  In this case, the members of
the electric coop didn't much appreciate the
accusations about their coop either.  The fact is
Bill, the electric coop members asked for the
lights - just like the members of the Food coop
ask for organic foods.  Both lights and food
serve to advance the health and safety challenges
facing humans.  Both member organizations exist
to serve their members' interests.

I would have expected a "philospher" to get that
much out of the parody - even though I would have
no reason to expect them to admit it.

As to "shields" or "down lights" - I would have
only minor concerns about light intrusion rules
when houses are in "close proximity" to each
other - say 100 feet or so.  Also, the standard
would have to define an allowable amount of
lumens (or some other measure of light volume) so
that we are not relying on someone's anecdoctal
"feelings" about the light intrusion issue.  Of
course, the proposed ordinance does not address
light intrusion - only light pollution and energy
"conservation".  It's a bad ordinance, whether you recognize it or not.