[Vision2020] light pollution

Jeff Harkins jeffh at moscow.com
Sun Jan 22 15:24:48 PST 2006

Mark,

Yes, there are numerous examples.  But the predominant case for local
land use planning is the safety and health of the residents.

I am glad that you recognize that the nuisance suits are notoriously
hard to pursue.  They should be - they are civil issues.  But that is
exactly why the process for adjudication of the civil issue is
there.  If the protagonist cannot demonstrate actual damage from the
activity then how can the adjudication be remedied?  This lighting
issue is frivolous and trivial - why?  Because it pits a "health and
safety issue" against a "desire to be able to view dark skies."  Dark
sky viewing is not a civil right; health and safety is.

In the anecdotal case that one neighbor's light is intruding on
another neighbors property is a classic civil issue.  And unless the
number of suits reaches some "high level", the government should stay
out of it.

One lighting area that may warrant some regulation is neighbor
proximity.  I would have only mild concern about an ordinance that
specified when two resident buildings are located within a certain
distance of each other, say 100 feet, that "down lighting" or "light
directing" rules might be appropriate.  The benefit, however, should
be to an ordinance that always provides for "health and safety" over
personal preferences and inconvenience.

But I know that you recognize the science of lighting just as well as
I do.  And I know that you know that light is invisible to the human
eye until it refracts or reflects off of something.  You know, just
as well as I do that the problem of "light pollution" stems from the
various particulates in the atmosphere and not the incidence of local
light.  I think you also know that down directed lighting will
reflect back up and that that is an especially difficult problem with
snow on the ground.  I am confident that you also know that the light
hitting the earth's surface directly from solar objects (stars) and
reflecting from planetary objects (planets and other orbital bodies)
are far more responsible for "light pollution" than any amount of
locally generated light sources.  The light reflected from the moon
affects us for more than three weeks out of a year.  My night sky
viewing is always planned around the quarter of the moon - isn't yours?

I think you know just as well as I do that if one wants to view an
unobscured night sky that the best opportunity on the Palouse is to
get out the night after a cleansing rain storm.  We also need to have
the storm front blow through and leave no cloud cover.  The
particulate is, for the most part, gone and the view of the night sky
is spectacular.  And the local light sources are irrelevant.  I lived
many years in Seattle.  There were many nights after rain that the
night sky from Queen Anne hill was completely visible - irrespective
of the fact that I was less than a mile from Seattle Center.  An even
more enlightening view could be had from the deck of a sailboat in
Puget Sound, with all the lights of Seattle as a backdrop - the night
sky was filled with stars.

See, what puzzles me is - I know you know these things.  What I can't
figure out is why you would support legislation that will make a
handful of folks feel good about themselves and cost hundreds of
folks a bunch of money.  And at the end of the day, the sky won't be
any more visible than it is right now.