[Vision2020] City Council and the Pledge

Phil Nisbet pcnisbet1 at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 22 12:53:06 PST 2006

Tom I

Which part of my statement that the citizens have no right to demand thought
conformity did you fail to understand?  I stated it several time.

But while the citizens are not allowed to require thought conformity of
their council, they can un-elect that council.  It’s called democracy.  So
yes Tom, the mass does have a right to manipulate the people they pick, by
letting them know that their calls can and will result in either retention
in office or removal from it.

I have an extremely hard time trying to figure the instant change over from
the last council to this one.  In the last council, the same people who seem
to be insisting that the council can disregard the will of the people while
they serve were insisting that the council had to hear the voice of the
citizens.  From wanting open government, they seem to be calling for a
process that does not require the council to tell us anything the council
does not deem important.

How many seconds of time does it take for council members to tell us why
they wish to alter the way meetings are conducted?  John took the time to
give us two emails on the subject, something that says that he at least
believes in open government.  So why do we have a whole lot of people lined
up trying to insist that the rest of the council has no need to do the same?
  What about the council telling us the reasons they decide things bothers
them so much?

Phil Nisbet