[Vision2020] light pollution

Steven Basoa sbasoa at moscow.com
Sun Jan 22 10:45:48 PST 2006

Mr. Harkins,

Please do your homework about neighbors before you post.

It's wonderful that you, as a rural property owner, "respect the
concept of light pollution and manage my light use to be as
unobtrusive as possible."  It is to be applauded that you and your
neighbors are able to work out problems such as light pollution.  I,
too, am a rural property owner and have enjoyed good working
relations with my neighbors.

However, some neighbors simply don't give a crap.  They do what they
do and don't consider anything but their own amusements.  If their
night lights are pointed directly into your living room, it's your
problem, not theirs ('put up heavier curtains' they might say).  Some
neighbors will be understanding and listen to reason.  Others will go
out and increase the wattage.  It's a crapshoot.  You and I, we're
lucky to have good neighbors.  Many others are not so fortunate.  And
with the current trend of building a house on top of every hill in
the county,  light pollution is bound to get worse.

I support the draft ordinance requiring shielded lights.  This shows
consideration for neighbors and still allows excellent visibility for
property owners.  I fail to  see how this requirement will cause more
"damage and injury to property and persons" or cause more "damages to
animals and crops harmed by predators and foragers".  My unshielded
lights (granted, they are not high wattage mercury vapor lights) do
not keep the deer and moose away nor do they stop the coyotes from
their nightly prowls.  As to "damages resulting from burglary,
trespass and general mischief", well, shielded or not, lights alone
will not deter a determined burglar or general mischief-maker.

I take great pleasure in viewing the night sky, unobstructed from
most neighbors lights.  I am very fortunate in that regard and wish
to remain so.  This proposed ordinance is a positive step towards
preserving one aspect of this wonderful quality of life we currently
enjoy here in Latah County while causing few, if any, real problems.

-Steven