[Vision2020] light pollution

Jeff Harkins jeffh at moscow.com
Sat Jan 21 23:46:02 PST 2006

Mr. Evans,

Please do your homework about the physics of light before you post.

For the rest of you interested in this topic,
consider that with a bit over 1000 square miles
of land in Latah County, there are 500 rural farm
lights (yard lights).  That is 1 light per 2
square miles.  Since many of the lights are
clustered in areas around the urban centers, the
average number of light units per square mile
drops considerably.  It is dark in the rural parts of this county.

As a rural property owner, let me assure you that
I do respect the concept of light pollution and
manage my light use to be as unobtrusive as
possible.  All of us in our "neighborhood" work
together to not impose on each other on most
issues, including lighting.  If there was a
problem, we would find a way to work it out.  I
don't recognize your name and I am rather
confident that you don't live near me.  So why,
exactly, are you attempting to dictate lighting
issues to me and my neighbors.

If you, Mr. Evans, would be willing to demand
that the County accept all liability for damage
and injury to property and persons that result
from reduced lighting on rural property, would
support a fair compensation to me (or my
neighbors) for damages to animals and crops
harmed by predators and foragers, would support
public funds be raised to reimburse me (or rural
residents) for damages resulting from burglary,
trespass and general mischief, we can pursue a
dialogue.  Frankly, I would rather invest such
scarce public dollars in county infrastructure and schools ....

Until then, I will not compromise my
responsibility for the health and safety of my
family, my neighbors or my friends for your dark sky agenda.

Until you support full financial responsibility
by Latah County for the consequences for what you
are asking me and my neighbors to do in our
neighborhood, why don't you work with your
neighbors to deal with the light pollution in
your neighborhood?  I assume that you live in Moscow.