[Vision2020] City Council and the Pledge

John Dickinson johnd at moscow.com
Sat Jan 21 21:11:03 PST 2006

Hi again,

Having mentioned that the pledge of allegiance became a part of every
council meeting only after 9/11, I thought it would be clear that we no
longer needed to have the pledge at each council meeting - just as we have
stopped many of the patriotic activities that were daily common activities
then. I think we were all helped in that tragic time by the sight of flags
flying at almost every house in the country. As a nation, we were united in
the best of what this country stands for, our essence was being attacked. We
needed to tell everyone we knew that we are good people with high ideals and
that we did not deserve to have our essence torn from us.

We have moved from that moment. We are still a country with high ideals and
a future full of wonderous gifts to give. I personally don't think that the
pledge of allegiance is needed to start an ordinary meeting of council. One
of the many things I love about City Council and local government generally
is that the issues that get decided at almost completely devoid of politics
as we know it - they are issues about healthy safe neighborhoods,
transportation opportunities, economic well-being of the community. None are
controversial, though none are easy to implement. These are local issues,
concerns of the members of this community. The federal government is not
going to help us get a four way stop at the corner of Mountain View and D
Streets.

John

Flag,
> country and those who have sacrificed for it. If the words "under God"
> offend that is one thing, but too not say the Pledge because of thinking
it
> is redundant, is offensive to some. If we continue with this
> rationalization,what would be next? Maybe as Mr Dickinson would suggest,
> limit the times we sing the national anthem. How about we only raise and
> lower the flag on the Forth of July or Memorial day. OR not at all because
> it could offend some.
>           Well Im sorry that Mr Dickinson and Chasuk have trouble with a
> little bit of community outspoken pride.
> Chasuk says; "I'm am one of
> those who inwardly groans every time I encounter flag-waving or
> loyalty oaths;
>
> Sorry to here it. I'm one of those who get the chills each time I see the
> flag or hear the Anthem. In fact I've shed a tear.
>
> I do agree that saying the Pledge will not change ones voting record or
> conduct, but the pledge  goes further than that. The Pledge,Anthem, and
Flag
> have meaning. Buy limiting these things to certain functions is
> disrespecting our nation.
>
> I have no doubt that our council members will do there best for this town,
> saying the pledge or not, will not effect that. However, them saying it
sets
> a good example to our children and shows respect of these valued things.
>
> Matt Decker
>
> >From: Donovan Arnold <donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com>
> >To: John Dickinson <johnd at moscow.com>, "'Phil Nisbet'"
> ><pcnisbet1 at hotmail.com>,        nchaney at moscow.com
> >CC: aaronament at moscow.com, vision2020 at moscow.com, johnd at moscow.com,
> >blambert at ci.moscow.id.us, jweber at ci.moscow.id.us,        "'Linda Pall'"
> ><lpall at moscow.com>, bstout at ci.moscow.id.us
> >Subject: RE: [Vision2020] City Council and the Pledge
> >Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 23:37:17 -0800 (PST)
> >
> >John and Nancy,
> >
> >   I want to thank you for having the courage to write Vision2020 and
> >publicly address the issue of the Pledge of Allegiance.
> >
> >   However, I want to say that it saddens my heart and upsets my stomach
> >that you have removed the pledge of allegiance to our flag from your
> >bi-monthly meetings. I strongly believe that this is a step in the  wrong
> >direction, particularly at this time.
> >
> >  Granted, the  pledge is abused, misused, uttered with content,
> >repetition, and  without meaning to many, and its purpose is lost on many
> >more. But  regardless, the pledge was meant to illustrate to the public
> >your  loyalty to the people. It is a reminder to the corruptible, to
> >politicians that forget why they are there after many years of service,
> >and to those about to cast a vote to spite a political enemy or help a
> >personal friend, that their vote and loyalty belongs to and for all the
> >PEOPLE of Moscow, the people of Idaho, and the people of the United
> >States.
> >
> >  With all of the corruption, back room deals, and  dishonest politicians
> >in our mists, I believe it is important that  every elected official make
> >public statement before casting a vote  that they acknowledge publicly
WHY
> >and for WHO they are casting their  vote.
> >
> >  I am sorry to hear, Councilman Dickinson, that saying  the pledge twice
> >month is too much for you. I for one feel that we  should be honored to
say
> >it at least as much.
> >
> >  The irony  here is that we force our children every school day to take
> >loyalty  to the nation when they know not the meaning of the word, and
the
> >politicos that need to remind themselves and the people why they are
> >elected to office, excuse themselves from such commitments.
> >
> >   Mayor Cheney, Councilman Dickinson, and the other member of the
> >council, if you feel your oath to this city is unquestionable, if you
have
> >  unquestionable loyalty to  this nation, if you do not  question your
> >pride in this nation,  then their should be no  question to your
> >willingness to say the pledge twice a month that  children say five times
> >week.
> >
> >   Sincerely,
> >
> >   Donovan J Arnold
> >Proud United States Citizen and Moscow Resident
> >

> >John Dickinson <johnd at moscow.com> wrote:  Visionaries-
> >
> >I am one of the council members that asked that we not say the pledge of
> >allegiance to the flag at each council meeting. Before 9/11, the pledge
was
> >said at council meetings that were near special national celebrations,
such
> >as the Fourth of July. Since 9/11, the pledge has been said at each
council
> >meeting. My primary objection to making the pledge pro forma is that it
> >dilutes its meaning by saying it all the time. It seems similar the
singing
> >the national anthem before baseball games - begun after WWI, I think it
> >would be more meaningful to sing our national anthem on days of
celebration
> >or on days of national trauma.
> >
> >If there are some that worry about a council members commitment to city,
> >county, state and nation - then I think we'd need to have a more
inclusive
> >ritual to begin each meeting, something that included the city, county,
> >state parts.
> >
> >Every moment since I was elected two years ago I have felt the weight of
> >responsibility that I have been granted by the people of this community.
It
> >is a joyous burden to feel. I thank you all for helping to make Moscow a
> >place I could never leave.
> >
> >John Dickinson
> >Moscow City Council

humanness”