[Vision2020] City Council and the Pledge

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Sat Jan 21 16:51:01 PST 2006

Arnold, Arnold, Arnold -

Do you know what this is:

"I, (state your name), do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and
defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign
and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and
that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the
orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the
Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God."

That is the Oath of Enlistment.  The first time I recited it was June 12,
1969.  I did not recite it again until December 1973.  In fact . . .  during
the course of my 20 years of Army service I can only recall reciting it four
times (five, if you count my initial enlistment).  Did my failure to recite
this oath, on a daily basis (every morning when I awoke in the barracks)
make me less of a soldier committed to my country?  I don't think so.

Another thing:  I would rather share a beer with the person that questions
authority than the person who leaves authority unquestioned.

Take care, Moscow.

"Patriotism is not a short and frenzied outburst of emotion but the tranquil
and steady dedication of a lifetime."

--Adlai E. Stevenson, Jr.

  _____