[Vision2020] City Council and the Pledge

Donovan Arnold donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 21 14:29:03 PST 2006

Joe,

 I hope John and Nancy are not  insulted by being asked to say the pledge. I would tend to think such  patriots would revel in the opportunity, not view it as a punishment or  inconvenience.

 The pledge is probably the only thing this  community can agree to do together regardless of political affiliation  or positions on the issues that follow that day. Unfortunately, I guess  that is no longer true.

 Taking two minutes out of our month  to show our patriotism, commitment to our nation and community, and to  pledge our allegiance to this great nation has apparently become  politically incorrect and too much of a hassle.

  -DJA

joekc at adelphia.net wrote:  Phil wrote:

> As was mentioned, the Pledge has been recited before every meeting since 11
> September 2001.  The council deciding to change that practice right after an
> election suggests that there is a reason that the majority of the elected
> officials had for halting the practice.  It is not unreasonable for the
> public to wonder or to ask that those reasons be made clear.

I  hope it has not been lost that questions about halting the practice of  the Pledge have been asked and that John and Nancy have taken time out  from their busy schedules to address them, directly and honestly. I'm  satisfied with John's response. For those of you who are not I suggest  that you attend the next council meeting and make your points in a  forum where all of the people involved are allowed to answer questions.

And  Donovan, it is insulting to suggest that a councilperson or mayor  should have to prove their allegiance to our city and country by  reciting the Pledge. How can saying the Pledge prove their loyalty to  our city and country any more than the activities that John and Nancy  perform on a daily basis?

 List services made available by First Step Internet,
          mailto:Vision2020 at moscow.com