[Vision2020] City Council and the Pledge

AreaMan (DanC) areaman at moscow.com
Sat Jan 21 08:59:40 PST 2006

John Dickinson says:

"I am one of the council members that asked that we not say the pledge
of allegiance to the flag at each council meeting. My primary objection
to making the pledge pro forma is that it dilutes its meaning by saying
it all the time."

John,

Thanks for your answering the question, and thank you for giving your
reason.

I, like Phil, like it when members step up with the "why" (and that was
the reason I figured, but it is nice to get it out in the daylight),
rather than just halting a practice with no explaination.  We had the
reason why the pledge was being said at every meeting, and it's nice to
have the reason why it stops.

DC