[Vision2020] It is time. It is beyond time.

Bruce and Jean Livingston jeanlivingston at turbonet.com
Sat Jan 21 04:59:55 PST 2006

Florida is not the issue or the point of Mr. Coombs comment, Pat.  Using the official vote totals, which show Bush defeating Gore in Florida by 537 votes, 2,912,790 to 2,912,253, Bush lost the popular vote in this country by a vote of 50,456,002 (Bush) to 50,999,897.  Nationally, the popular vote margin favored Gore by more than a half million votes, with Bush getting 47.87% to Gore's 48.38% and Nader's 2.74%.  http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0876793.html

Of course, Bush reversed that extremely close loss in the popular vote in 2000 with a popular vote win by a much wider margin against John Kerry in 2004.  Bush received 62,028,285 votes to Kerry's 59,028,109.

Of course, the electoral college determines the outcome in our presidential elections.  As we all know, the official election totals in the popular vote determine the electors from each state, and Bush won the electoral college vote twice, with the 2000 election in the electoral college turning on Florida and the 2004 election determined by Ohio.

But I think Mr. Coombs was addressing your dismissal of Gore as almost an irrelevancy, simply by noting that Gore got more votes nationally than Bush.  I was just noting the totals, because I had forgotten just how close that election was.  537 votes to determine who won in Florida.  Wow.

Bruce Livingston