[Vision2020] Doug Jones Says It Clearly

joekc at adelphia.net joekc at adelphia.net
Fri Jan 20 06:56:05 PST 2006

Dear Mr. Crabree,

How is it that those who want no Super Wal-Mart are restricting choices – “seem intent on minding other folks business,” as you say – when we already HAVE a Wal-Mart yet a Super Wal-Mart will actually drive away businesses to which many of us CHOOSE to go?

I really wish you would stop characterizing all of those who are against NSA being downtown and a Super Wal-Mart coming into town as being against choice and trying to inflict their will on others.

I am for long-term planning, not short term decision making based on cost and convenience. I am for deciding whether or not a school should be in the downtown area before it gets there, and for thinking clearly about whether a Super Wal-Mart will ruin the town I love before it happens. Maybe I’m wrong that Moscow is worse with a college downtown or that I will be worse off with a Super Wal-Mart 1/2 mile from my house. I can live with knowing this. I just want to be part of the process before it takes place and to have some say in how Moscow develops. But I want you to be part of that process too, Mr. Crabtree. I’m not against the democratic process. I am simply for recognizing and sticking to a comprehensive plan for the development of the city. I am for locating debate on the comprehensive plan in public settings that occur before any change is implemented, as opposed to deciding what to do after the fact. I am against backroom dealings that benefit a few at the expense of others.

One more question: How can you say in one breath that “women shouldn't be soldiers” yet in another say you “tire of people who seem intent on minding other folks business” – and not notice the conflict between these two claims?

Best, Joe