[Vision2020] women in the infantry

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Thu Jan 19 19:17:15 PST 2006

Fascinating question, Matt.

The question becomes "Can a female soldier successfully accomplish the tasks
and demands made on a line unit infantry soldier?"

My gut says "yes".  My heart and mind are wrestling with reasonable doubt.

Many cultures, in the past and present, had/have women fighters on the
lines.  Our culture has not experienced this as commonly as others.  I am
certain that if we researched it, we would find that American women, as a
matter of necessity, have taken up arms during our revolutionary and civil
wars.

For too many generations to count, American men have been raised to believe
that they alone are responsible for security of home and family.  Patriotism
has been portrayed as men going off to war while their women kept the home
fires burning.  The images of Sally Homemaker and Rosie the Riveter enforced
these stereotypes.

Times have changed, gentlemen.  Female soldiers may not enlist into the
infantry, armor, or field artillery, but THEY DO perform combat missions as
military police (convoy escort, prisoner escort, etc. etc.).

With the mergence of terrorism, the concept of "front lines" will fade away.
As such it will be imperative that ALL soldiers improve and maintain
infantry skills, and that includes female soldiers.

My hear and mind will learn to accept the necessity.  My gut will be
thankful.

Take care, Moscow.

"Patriotism is not a short and frenzied outburst of emotion but the tranquil
and steady dedication of a lifetime."

--Adlai E. Stevenson, Jr.